Exercises/workouts for disabled people?

Watch
AnonaMooMoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
BACKGROUND INFO:

So I was in accident as a child and have limited use of one side of my body. One side is extremely strong (from compensating for the other side all these years) and the other side is abnormally weak to the point I hardly use it as it causes me aches to use it. I signed up to the Uni gym and I couldn't even use 1/2 of the machines in there even with there being no weights added to them. Just travelling on the bus to and from University causes my body pain. It makes me not focus well in classes. And also makes me fall asleep from fatigue when I get home.

I can not let my body keep affecting me like this, I am on a mission to get strong. Now that Summer is here, it is the perfect time to work on this. I have now resigned up for the gym. But I need help on to how to workout as a disabled person.

QUESTIONS:

1.What exercises should a person with 1 damaged weak side do to build back muscle?
2.If the gym machines cause me pain should I stop or push through?

RANDOM BONUS QUESTION:

Also, I have always wondered this but...you know how people say that when you start to feel pain from a workout that's how you know you are growing muscles...well because I am disabled and I start to feel pain very quickly during a workout...does that mean I grow muscles faster than a normal person would doing the same workout? If that makes sense? So, if me and a normal person do a workout, and it hurts me to do, but doesn't hurt them to do, does it mean I have grown muscles and they haven't?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can’t advise you directly but I do know this guy on insta who is an excellent personal trainer who is also paraplegic so has worked out a number of techniques and exercises to exercise while disabled - https://instagram.com/adapttoperform

Have you tried swimming or exercise in the water (aquafit/aquarobics etc)? That might be a good option to build strength without causing pain.
Saurus95
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"Also, I have always wondered this but...you know how people say that when you start to feel pain from a workout that's how you know you are growing muscles...well because I am disabled and I start to feel pain very quickly during a workout...does that mean I grow muscles faster than a normal person would doing the same workout?"

I'm afraid that how much pain you feel does not necessarily indicate whether your muscles are growing faster.

The pain that you feel is probably caused by something that others do not have to deal with, so pushing through may not be a good idea. You know your body better than anyone, so you should stop exercising when you experience an amount and/or a type of pain that is not normal for your body.

It's great that you want to get stronger. I hope that you achieve your aim without causing yourself any harm.
Saurus95
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
Have you tried swimming or exercise in the water (aquafit/aquarobics etc)? That might be a good option to build strength without causing pain.
That's a really good suggestion.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AnonaMooMoo)
BACKGROUND INFO:

So I was in accident as a child and have limited use of one side of my body. One side is extremely strong (from compensating for the other side all these years) and the other side is abnormally weak to the point I hardly use it as it causes me aches to use it. I signed up to the Uni gym and I couldn't even use 1/2 of the machines in there even with there being no weights added to them. Just travelling on the bus to and from University causes my body pain. It makes me not focus well in classes. And also makes me fall asleep from fatigue when I get home.

I can not let my body keep affecting me like this, I am on a mission to get strong. Now that Summer is here, it is the perfect time to work on this. I have now resigned up for the gym. But I need help on to how to workout as a disabled person.

QUESTIONS:

1.What exercises should a person with 1 damaged weak side do to build back muscle?
2.If the gym machines cause me pain should I stop or push through?

RANDOM BONUS QUESTION:

Also, I have always wondered this but...you know how people say that when you start to feel pain from a workout that's how you know you are growing muscles...well because I am disabled and I start to feel pain very quickly during a workout...does that mean I grow muscles faster than a normal person would doing the same workout? If that makes sense? So, if me and a normal person do a workout, and it hurts me to do, but doesn't hurt them to do, does it mean I have grown muscles and they haven't?
Could you ask your GP for a referral to someone qualified to help you? It sounds like a word with the GP would be a good idea anyway, it's not good that you are in pain while travelling to Uni.

By the way, I was wondering whether some of your DSA money could be used for taxi transport for you.

Would the appropriate person be someone like a Sports Physiotherapist with special expertise in disability?

PS I don't hold with the theory about experiencing pain while working out as being a sign that muscles are growing.
Last edited by Kerzen; 4 weeks ago
Tash W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have a similar disability and have found that swimming and horse riding are the best ways to exercise. If you have a local RDA they may be able to help with the horse riding.I would also try and get a referral to a physio as they’ll be able to give you specific exercises for your body.As someone else mentioned, it might be worth getting a DSA assessment to see if you qualify for a taxi allowance instead of using the bus.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is a short list of suggestions

Try to find some different fun exercise classes that you can do. Try to see a physio too, they can help advise you on your exercise options. Find out about fitness classes for disabled folks at your local community council funded leisure centre etc. Join in.
You also can even order a cheap exercise dvd off Amazon for added motivation and extra support. I also recommend locating a public gym and meeting a qualified fitness trainer for some more helpful and tailored advice and help. Set yourself some fitness goals to work towards as well. Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (0)
0%
Uncertainty around my education (0)
0%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (0)
0%
Lack of purpose or motivation (0)
0%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (1)
100%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (0)
0%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (0)
0%
Financial worries (0)
0%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (0)
0%
Exposure to negative news/social media (0)
0%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (0)
0%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (0)
0%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (0)
0%

Watched Threads