The Student Room Group

Utterly ridiculous government league tables.

State schools top the table but private rivals cry foul

Here is yet another example of the government trying to improve the image of the state education system. Rather than improving standards at comprehensive schools, Labour publishes an "ahead @ 16" league table in which "a distinction in cake decoration is worth more than an A grade in GCSE physics".

The league tables paint an entirely false picture and are completely useless.
Compare the governments "ahead at 16" league table,

1 Thomas Telford (state)
2 Brooke Weston (state)
3 Wolverhampton Girls' High School (state)
4 King Edward VI Camp Hill girls, Birmingham (state)
5 Perse School for Girls, Cambridge (Ind)
103 Westminster School
195 Eton College
346 Winchester College

with The Times's A Level league table (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,39231,00.html)

1 Westminster School
2 Winchester College
3 Sevenoaks School
4 North London Collegiate School
5 Wycombe Abbey School,
6 St Paul's School
7 King's College School
8 St Paul's Girls' School
9 Eton College
10 Southbank International School

The head of Thomas Telford seems to think the world of these new tables. Not surprising really, given he can forgo such difficult subjects as languages, maths and science and concentrate on pattern cutting, cake decoration and wired sugar flowers!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thomas Telford is the school which pioneered GNVQ ICT courses. These count for 4 GCSEs, meaning that all the school needs to do is get all their students to pass the GNVQ plus one other GCSE and that gives them 100% of pupils achieveing 5 A*-C, the minimum accepted standard.

This is regardless of whether a GNVQ in ICT acutally helps the student or whether it is in his/her best interests. This is only done to push the school up the league tables.

Also, Thomas Telford have a nice income from selling GNVQ ICT courses for £3,000 a time.
Reply 2
What is wrong with saluting the gifts of those who are not suited to an academic course yet do extremely well at what they do.

The problem with this country has always been the esteem in which they hold academic abilities and deride those with more vocational abilities. We have to address that and these tables are going some way to do it. There was a long consultation process between the DfES and academia before agreement was reached on how to forumulate the 'new look' tables.

Regarding Thomas Telford - the school has one of the best Ofsted reports I have ever seen - and they have an intake comprising all abilities in national ratios. Have a look yourselves before giving yourself over to prejudiced and uninformed comments.
apples and pears are vocational courses and academic ones to me.
Reply 4
funny how those top of a-levels where theres no fiddling come way down on GCSEs...

result : flawed.
Reply 5
yawn
What is wrong with saluting the gifts of those who are not suited to an academic course yet do extremely well at what they do.

The problem with this country has always been the esteem in which they hold academic abilities and deride those with more vocational abilities. We have to address that and these tables are going some way to do it. There was a long consultation process between the DfES and academia before agreement was reached on how to forumulate the 'new look' tables.

Regarding Thomas Telford - the school has one of the best Ofsted reports I have ever seen - and they have an intake comprising all abilities in national ratios. Have a look yourselves before giving yourself over to prejudiced and uninformed comments.

It's quite easy for Thomas Telford compared to other comps - an income of £3,000,000 per year from its courses would help any school. Its teachers also has the responsibility of setting the exams. Conflict of interest?

It's obvious to most sensible people that this GNVQ is just a way of playing the system - shove all the pupils on it and they're four fifths of the way to that magic five A* - C GCSEs and Thomas Telford can be top of the tables, with a little help from the government of course.

Again, this is regardless of whether GNVQ ICT is actually what's right for the students individually. This is one size fits all education which is pandering to the governments league tables.
Reply 6
Lord Huntroyde
It's quite easy for Thomas Telford compared to other comps - an income of £3,000,000 per year from its courses would help any school. Its teachers also has the responsibility of setting the exams. Conflict of interest?

It's obvious to most sensible people that this GNVQ is just a way of playing the system - shove all the pupils on it and they're four fifths of the way to that magic five A* - C GCSEs and Thomas Telford can be top of the tables, with a little help from the government of course.

Again, this is regardless of whether GNVQ ICT is actually what's right for the government. This is one size fits all education which is pandering to the governments league tables.

It is no more disingenuous than saying that the top schools are grammars just because they are rather than because they only admit those from the top quartile.
Reply 7
yawn
It is no more disingenuous than saying that the top schools are grammars just because they are rather than because they only admit those from the top quartile.

although it would be a fairer picture if you used logic.
yawn

yea but thats true. if they let stupid kids in, they'd duff up the system hence result in a lower ranking
Reply 9
amex

The head of Thomas Telford seems to think the world of these new tables. Not surprising really, given he can forgo such difficult subjects as languages, maths and science and concentrate on pattern cutting, cake decoration and wired sugar flowers!!

Shut up. 2 years ago (my GCSE year) my old school came joint top of the NS tables with Thomas Telford school. We didn't offer a single GNVQ in year 10 or 11 and still came top with many students taking 13 GCSEs. Private schools have spat the dummy because state schools are getting better and all of a sudden they wonder if its worth the money their parents pay for their education. Mark my words, in a few years time state schools will top the A-Levels list too.
Reply 10
tkfmbp
Shut up. 2 years ago (my GCSE year) my old school came joint top of the NS tables with Thomas Telford school. We didn't offer a single GNVQ in year 10 or 11 and still came top with many students taking 13 GCSEs. Private schools have spat the dummy because state schools are getting better and all of a sudden they wonder if its worth the money their parents pay for their education. Mark my words, in a few years time state schools will top the A-Levels list too.

And two years ago your school probably deserved to be at the top, but this table is compiled differently to past league tables as you would have realised had you read the article.

I really doubt state schools will ever dominate the A Level list like independent schools do currently (unless, of course, the government has a fiddle).
Lord Huntroyde

Again, this is regardless of whether GNVQ ICT is actually what's right for the students individually. This is one size fits all education which is pandering to the governments league tables.

Interesting how you have neglected to mention where this GNVQ system has been used, such as my dad's school where GCSEs are not a viable option for the children due to their various special needs (I had to be a reader and writer for one of the students in an exam yesterday).

They have tried doing GCSE maths and english, but these students just cannot cope with them. GNVQs have helped all of the students at my dad's school get into college so they can do other courses, whether ICT oriented or not.
Reply 12
what my school didn't make the top ten again! lol
Reply 13
Lord Huntroyde

Thats just what my school did. Or at least tried to do.
It didn't work as people dropped out...or just played about on the internet. Then a teacher left and lost peoples coursework.
I don't agree with it equalling 4 GCSEs though. I spent about 6 months doing work on mine, including spending time online messing about and helping friends and the teacher. The rest of the 2 years was spent entertaining myself online. I admit that I put no effort into it, and as a result didn't get what I could have. But putting in no effort and doing work intended for 2 years in 6 months hardly sounds like 4 GCSEs to me.

The league tables do seem to be out of balence now. If the weighting for each subject was a bit more logical it may work. Considering that most secondary school pupils are going to know a little bit about computers at least the ICT GNVQ seems unfair and too easy.
Reply 14
amex
State schools top the table but private rivals cry foul

Here is yet another example of the government trying to improve the image of the state education system. Rather than improving standards at comprehensive schools, Labour publishes an "ahead @ 16" league table in which "a distinction in cake decoration is worth more than an A grade in GCSE physics".

The league tables paint an entirely false picture and are completely useless.
Compare the governments "ahead at 16" league table,

1 Thomas Telford (state)
2 Brooke Weston (state)
3 Wolverhampton Girls' High School (state)
4 King Edward VI Camp Hill girls, Birmingham (state)
5 Perse School for Girls, Cambridge (Ind)
103 Westminster School
195 Eton College
346 Winchester College

with The Times's A Level league table (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,39231,00.html)

1 Westminster School
2 Winchester College
3 Sevenoaks School
4 North London Collegiate School
5 Wycombe Abbey School,
6 St Paul's School
7 King's College School
8 St Paul's Girls' School
9 Eton College
10 Southbank International School

Well then ignore it.

Its nothing new. Public schools and their students always have a tantrum when it seems apparant that their stupidly expensive education is not guaranteeing them a suitable gap between themselves and the unwashed masses.
yawn
What is wrong with saluting the gifts of those who are not suited to an academic course yet do extremely well at what they do..

A distinction award in cake decoration > A in GCSE Physics? A GNVQ in Info Technology which requires the same teaching time as a GCSE subject is worth FOUR GCSEs? Come on these tables are a load of nonsense and it stuns me the government thinks they can get away with this.
kingslaw
Its nothing new. Public schools and their students always have a tantrum when it seems apparant that their stupidly expensive education is not guaranteeing them a suitable gap between themselves and the unwashed masses.

Oh come on the complaints are perfectly well founded and anyone who cares about the integrity of our school education should be outraged at the way in which these tables have been fiddled to make poorly performing schools look like theyve become uber overnight - praise be to labour of course.
wiwarin_mir
Interesting how you have neglected to mention where this GNVQ system has been used, such as my dad's school where GCSEs are not a viable option for the children due to their various special needs (I had to be a reader and writer for one of the students in an exam yesterday).

They have tried doing GCSE maths and english, but these students just cannot cope with them. GNVQs have helped all of the students at my dad's school get into college so they can do other courses, whether ICT oriented or not.

Which is neither here nor there. Are single GNVQs really the equivalent of 4 GCSEs?
Reply 18
an Siarach
Oh come on the complaints are perfectly well founded and anyone who cares about the integrity of our school education should be outraged at the way in which these tables have been fiddled to make poorly performing schools look like theyve become uber overnight - praise be to labour of course.

I don't want unreliable tables either. I want state schools to catch-up, and eventually overtake private schools in terms of performance - something which will never happen if our tables are rigged. However, at some point in this time line the heads of the most expensive public schools are bound to cry 'unfair' as they desperately try to justify why people should pay for an education in the modern age. If this ever happens, the only true 'benefit' for parents in sending their kids to a private school would be the social benefit of keeping their little darlings away from some of the 'bad types' that go to state schools.
kingslaw
However, at some point in this time line the heads of the most expensive public schools are bound to cry 'unfair' as they desperately try to justify why people should pay for an education in the modern age. If this ever happens, the only true 'benefit' for parents in sending their kids to a private school would be the social benefit of keeping their little darlings away from some of the 'bad types' that go to state schools.

I dont doubt this will happen but its not happening now because state schools have yet to overtake private institutions (unless you count the grammars) and these tables are about as reliable as russian democracy.

Latest

Trending

Trending