ashish.145
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I am studying at University of Manchester and staying at Liverpool, would that be a problem? I will be doing BEng in Mechanical Engineering which is really intensive and also I would be trying some part time jobs. Would the distance be a major problem or should I opt for University of Liverpool itself..?
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ashish.145)
If I am studying at University of Manchester and staying at Liverpool, would that be a problem? I will be doing BEng in Mechanical Engineering which is really intensive and also I would be trying some part time jobs. Would the distance be a major problem or should I opt for University of Liverpool itself..?
If you want to go to Manchester, why would you stay in Liverpool? I don't think this would be very manageable on a STEM course, with a job as well.
ashish.145
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
If you want to go to Manchester, why would you stay in Liverpool? I don't think this would be very manageable on a STEM course, with a job as well.
I am an international student who would be stayin with my family(since my mom is moving to liverpool soon). Since uni of Manchester is better than uni of Liverpool, and also offers much more Scholarships that uni of Liverpool, I am just considering uni of Manchester..but as u said it might be risky and my studies could be affected
ashalalabaz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am an international student who would be stayin with my family(since my mom is moving to liverpool soon). Since uni of Manchester is better than uni of Liverpool, and also offers much more Scholarships that uni of Liverpool, I am just considering uni of Manchester..but as u said it might be risky and my studies could be affected
personally i would spend the extra money on the university accomodation and miss out on a job just to make sure i pass the course, but if you think you will be able to commute each day and work part time aswell as complete a diffuclt course go for it.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So, if you have a scholarship offer, take it and go to Manchester. If you don't, then take a look at the course, and see which you prefer. I don't think the employment differences or prestige are extremely far apart, but Manchester is probably a little bit stronger, yes.

I would wait until you are on the course to get a part-time job, to see how you can manage the workload first. It also should be noted that it can be a little harder for international students to get part-time jobs, but not impossible, of course.

Depending on where you live in Liverpool, you could be commuting for 4 hours per day to get to Manchester, and vice versa (2 hours each way). This will be quite exhausting. Even if you live in Liverpool and go to university in Liverpool, you could still be commuting. I would really recommend going into university halls at whichever university you choose in your first year, especially in a new country, as it will give you the best and easiest experience. But, if not, look very carefully at commute times.
ashish.145
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
So, if you have a scholarship offer, take it and go to Manchester. If you don't, then take a look at the course, and see which you prefer. I don't think the employment differences or prestige are extremely far apart, but Manchester is probably a little bit stronger, yes.

I would wait until you are on the course to get a part-time job, to see how you can manage the workload first. It also should be noted that it can be a little harder for international students to get part-time jobs, but not impossible, of course.

Depending on where you live in Liverpool, you could be commuting for 4 hours per day to get to Manchester, and vice versa (2 hours each way). This will be quite exhausting. Even if you live in Liverpool and go to university in Liverpool, you could still be commuting. I would really recommend going into university halls at whichever university you choose in your first year, especially in a new country, as it will give you the best and easiest experience. But, if not, look very carefully at commute times.
I can't spend more money on rent..coz the fact I am plannin for international education is so as to stay with my family so that I can save on rent. So yh..it would be better to choose Liverpool itself ig.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't spend more money on rent..coz the fact I am plannin for international education is so as to stay with my family so that I can save on rent. So yh..it would be better to choose Liverpool itself ig.
Okay, this makes sense, I think it would be better for your to choose Liverpool, given the circumstances, unless you don't mind a long commute - dependent on where you are living. I would say to make sure you calculate your commuting costs wherever you are living, however, as it could work out about the same price to commute to Manchester, depending on where you will be living in Liverpool.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there!

So I would recommend the University of Liverpool...but maybe I'm biased...!

Judging on what you have said it seems sensible for you to take your scholarship offer at the University of Manchester, commuting could work well depending on where you are living in Liverpool. The train to Manchester Piccadilly/Oxford Road can be as quick as 40 minutes, others slower, you can also use this time effectively e.g. completing reading or writing up notes.

Hope this is helpful

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.54%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.49%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (61)
12.08%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.54%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.36%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.5%
Financial worries (30)
5.94%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.34%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.97%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (50)
9.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.32%

Watched Threads