is my dad acting inappropriately?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
he keeps getting mad at me for wearing 'revealing' clothing (e.g low cut tops, crop tops, short skirts, bikinis) at home but won't tell me why he doesn't like it. he comments on my body a lot and says that my boobs are too big for the things i'm wearing and has to physically cover his eyes when i'm near him sometimes so he doesn't stare. it makes me really uncomfortable when i can feel him staring at me and it feels sexual when all i want is to wear what i like in hot weather. my mum gets mad at him for saying things too me but he doesn't seem to care or listen to her about it. am i overreacting? should i just wear different clothes?
shooonthebeat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah you've done nothing wrong tbh. He shouldn't be reacting that way and imo he's in the wrong here. It's your choice so wear what you want.
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Parents are always wrong on TSR
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.
It sounds like your father is in the habit of making unpleasant and inappropriate remarks at home about your clothes.

To avoid experiencing any more of his rhetoric and negative attitude, consider avoiding him.
Particularly try to ensure that you stay out of his sight whenever you are wearing anything that could trigger another verbal outburst from him.
Plus try your best to save up enough money to finance moving into your own accomodation as soon as possible.
So that you can wear whatever clothes you like at home without being hassled, insulted or emotionally blackmailed.
I understand some of what you are feeling, I got almost constant hassle from most of my mother's toxic pals and violence from my mother for ignoring their demands.
Good luck!
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
he keeps getting mad at me for wearing 'revealing' clothing (e.g low cut tops, crop tops, short skirts, bikinis) at home but won't tell me why he doesn't like it. he comments on my body a lot and says that my boobs are too big for the things i'm wearing and has to physically cover his eyes when i'm near him sometimes so he doesn't stare. it makes me really uncomfortable when i can feel him staring at me and it feels sexual when all i want is to wear what i like in hot weather. my mum gets mad at him for saying things too me but he doesn't seem to care or listen to her about it. am i overreacting? should i just wear different clothes?
you wearing low cut tops and dressing provocatively probably makes him feel uncomfortable.

i'd probably not like it too if my sister was always wearing that and i had to be round her..
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ANM775)
you wearing low cut tops and dressing provocatively probably makes him feel uncomfortable.

i'd probably not like it too if my sister was always wearing that and i had to be round her..
why should it make him uncomfortable though? why is he seeing me in a sexual way? it’s weird
WazzWazz98
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At first I thought that maybe he was still in denial about his daughter becoming mature (I guess it would feel weird for a parent to think their child is going out into the big bad world on their own)

But the fact that his staring seems sexual is concerning
No father should behave in such a manner
Talk to your.mother about this
Has anyone else noticed this behaviour ?
Last edited by WazzWazz98; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Yes.
It sounds like your father is in the habit of making unpleasant and inappropriate remarks at home about your clothes.

To avoid experiencing any more of his rhetoric and negative attitude, consider avoiding him.
Particularly try to ensure that you stay out of his sight whenever you are wearing anything that could trigger another verbal outburst from him.
Plus try your best to save up enough money to finance moving into your own accomodation as soon as possible.
So that you can wear whatever clothes you like at home without being hassled, insulted or emotionally blackmailed.
I understand some of what you are feeling, I got almost constant hassle from most of my mother's toxic pals and violence from my mother for ignoring their demands.
Good luck!
thank you for this — i’m moving out for uni soon so i’ll be glad to get away
Anonymous #1
(Original post by WazzWazz98)
At first I thought that maybe he was still in denial about his daughter becoming mature (I guess it would feel weird for a parent to think their child is going out into the bog bad world on their own)

But the fact that his staring seems sexual is concerning
No father should behave in such a manner
Talk to your.mother about this
Has anyone else noticed this behaviour ?
my mum knows abt it and she calls him out for it when he does it but i don’t think she realises just how much it happens,, i've spoken to her abt it a few times but he doesn’t rlly care when she tries to start a conversation abt it so nothing changes ://
fellowweebhere
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah fathers should never look at there children in sexual ways, stay safe bb
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
Have you considered dressing more appropriately? Apart from going in and out of the bathroom - None of my family members walk around the house half naked and it would be weird if they did.

However the comments your dad is making specifically are weird.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)

Agreed.
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The fact your dad has to cover his eyes just so he doesn't stare at you is disgusting tbh. Why would your dad see you in a sexual manner?
Last edited by Moonlight rain; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Moonlight rain)
The fact your dad has to cover his eyes just so he doesn't stare at you is disgusting tbh. Why would your dad see you in a sexual manner?
Probably sexually attracted to her. Keeping in line with government guidelines, all relationships should be kept within the immediate family. Perhaps the father has misinterpreted these guidelines. :borat:
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you considered that maybe just maybe you're both in the wrong here? Who the hell wears bikinis in the house?
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Probably sexually attracted to her. Keeping in line with government guidelines, all relationships should be kept within the immediate family. Perhaps the father has misinterpreted these guidelines. :borat:
LMAOOOOO omds
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do think wearing bikinis around the house is a bit much tbh I know it's been hot recently but it's just as easy to wear some shorts and a tank top or whatever. I guess if you consider that a bikini is essentially wearing underwear I'm sure most fathers would feel uncomfortable seeing their daughters like that.

But still, I don't see the problem with wearing crop tops or short skirts and the fact that he has to cover his eyes so he doesn't look at your breasts is just creepy. He shouldn't even be commenting on your breasts or any aspect of your body. He's gross.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why should it make him uncomfortable though? why is he seeing me in a sexual way? it’s weird
Would you be uncomfortable if he got his **** out? Is that because you "see him in a sexual way"?
Last edited by Theloniouss; 1 month ago
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Would you be uncomfortable if he got his **** out? Is that because you "see him in a sexual way"?
Idk why men always think getting their **** out is equivalent to a women showing breasts, or even just a revealing top

It's not the same. The same would be a women walking around with no underwear on. It's really that simple.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Idk why men always think getting their **** out is equivalent to a women showing breasts, or even just a revealing top

It's not the same. The same would be a women walking around with no underwear on. It's really that simple.
It's the same idea. Point is that other people wearing little to nothing can make you uncomfortable for non-sexual reasons.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.91%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.82%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.18%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.45%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads