The Student Room Group

Diverse Book Reccomendations

Hey guys, I'm getting into reading and I'm wondering if any of you have any fantasy/fiction/sci-fi/action books that have strong diversity in them, however you interpret that. Books with brown/black main (not necessarily protagonist) characters or books set in non-western worlds would be a great starting point. Thanksss!!
Reply 1
The six of crows duology has a diverse set of characters. It is like crime fantasy. Recently incorporated into the Shadow and Bone series on Netflix. (the show has the characters of six of crows but eh story of shadow and bone series.

The rivers of London is also a crime fantasy series. The main character is a mixed-race policeman who is a training wizard in the met police.
OMG I have literally been waiting for someone to ask I am so sick of people reccomending the same old straight eurocentric books like Harry Potter, Dickens etc (not to diss their fans) but there is soooooooo much more.

First off, Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche is a brilliant writer whos books are set in Nigeria, and follow a lot of the political events that have happened there.

Next, there is the gilded ones, a fantasy set in west african inspired Oteria, and similarly Children of Blood and Bone.

If you want more, check out booktube reccomendations by Jack Edwards ( he has done many on arabic and asian books) on youtube and other booktubers, and there are also several booktockers as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending