equines5
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I apologise in advance as I’m sure you’ve had this question so many times, but I’m really conflicted.

I’m currently on a gap year (but resitting due to CAGs), I didn’t actually apply anywhere last year because I seriously couldn’t decide, and I’ve always been like this, indecisive as f*ck. since maybe year 10 I’ve on and off wanted to do medicine, I have gone through so many careers and degrees in my head I can’t even count. Seriously everything from law, to languages, to engineering, to music. I always change my mind about every few months but I keep coming back to medicine.

The negatives for med: I’ve got this feeling, that the fact I keep changing my mind is a bad sign, I’m clearly not committed right? On top of that, I would be lying if I said there wasn’t some external pressure, not directly but for example my mum frequently says "I always hoped one of you would become a doctor" to me and my siblings, I’m the youngest, the inky one left to go to uni sooo. From teachers too, some of mine clearly want me to go down this road. These are all bad reasons to do it. I would also be lying if I didn’t say that on some level I was interested in the job security and salary potential. Money is absolutely not my main motivation, like really, it’s not my goal. But from a very poor family, my mum has had very unstable careers, changing every few years, never earnt more than 25 grand. It definitely has occurred to me that once I get on to that course I’ve essentially got a guaranteed job at the end, and guaranteed to go up to 50/70/100 grand so many years after graduating. But even typing this sounds like I’m doing it for the wrong reason

Positives for medicine: I genuinely am interested in it. I did bio and chem a levels and adored biology. I am really interested in the human aspect and would love to study it further. I think I’d love the academic side. I also think I’d like the clinical side, I’ve worked in customer service and done work experience in a GP and hospital and enjoyed it. I would like to work with people. Additionally when I think of careers, I think it’s one of few I could enjoy. I would also love to do a languages degree but I can’t think of any career I would like after that for example. I would enjoy being a doctor...In theory at least. I’ve been told by several doctors and medical students in no uncertain terms to and I quote "run while you can"

All in all I just don’t know. I’ve been set on this for a few months now, but I went to purchase a medify subscription this morning and couldn’t do it. Because I couldn’t make that financial commitment to something I’m still not sure of. And if I don’t do med what’s next. I don’t know what I want to do and I’m already on a gap year, I feel like I’ve been too tunnel visioned recently and I’m lost.

I know that medicine is 1000 times more competitive at the graduate level, but I’m starting to think for me, it might be better. I don’t know if I’, ready to make this decision now, but I’m not convinced another gap year will do me any good. I just don’t know.

Any advice oh wise ones?
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by equines5)
I apologise in advance as I’m sure you’ve had this question so many times, but I’m really conflicted.

I’m currently on a gap year (but resitting due to CAGs), I didn’t actually apply anywhere last year because I seriously couldn’t decide, and I’ve always been like this, indecisive as f*ck. since maybe year 10 I’ve on and off wanted to do medicine, I have gone through so many careers and degrees in my head I can’t even count. Seriously everything from law, to languages, to engineering, to music. I always change my mind about every few months but I keep coming back to medicine.

The negatives for med: I’ve got this feeling, that the fact I keep changing my mind is a bad sign, I’m clearly not committed right? On top of that, I would be lying if I said there wasn’t some external pressure, not directly but for example my mum frequently says "I always hoped one of you would become a doctor" to me and my siblings, I’m the youngest, the inky one left to go to uni sooo. From teachers too, some of mine clearly want me to go down this road. These are all bad reasons to do it. I would also be lying if I didn’t say that on some level I was interested in the job security and salary potential. Money is absolutely not my main motivation, like really, it’s not my goal. But from a very poor family, my mum has had very unstable careers, changing every few years, never earnt more than 25 grand. It definitely has occurred to me that once I get on to that course I’ve essentially got a guaranteed job at the end, and guaranteed to go up to 50/70/100 grand so many years after graduating. But even typing this sounds like I’m doing it for the wrong reason

Positives for medicine: I genuinely am interested in it. I did bio and chem a levels and adored biology. I am really interested in the human aspect and would love to study it further. I think I’d love the academic side. I also think I’d like the clinical side, I’ve worked in customer service and done work experience in a GP and hospital and enjoyed it. I would like to work with people. Additionally when I think of careers, I think it’s one of few I could enjoy. I would also love to do a languages degree but I can’t think of any career I would like after that for example. I would enjoy being a doctor...In theory at least. I’ve been told by several doctors and medical students in no uncertain terms to and I quote "run while you can"

All in all I just don’t know. I’ve been set on this for a few months now, but I went to purchase a medify subscription this morning and couldn’t do it. Because I couldn’t make that financial commitment to something I’m still not sure of. And if I don’t do med what’s next. I don’t know what I want to do and I’m already on a gap year, I feel like I’ve been too tunnel visioned recently and I’m lost.

I know that medicine is 1000 times more competitive at the graduate level, but I’m starting to think for me, it might be better. I don’t know if I’, ready to make this decision now, but I’m not convinced another gap year will do me any good. I just don’t know.

Any advice oh wise ones?
If you've enjoyed in person work experience, that for me would be a huge green light personally. Most people I know who decided not to apply hated their work experience! I would also say there's nothing wrong with liking the job security - it is a bonus and it sounds like you have a realistic idea of what the salary is and aren't motivated by "I want a Lamborghini".

If you're on a gap year, could you get a job as a healthcare assistant or phlebotomist to see if you like that and enjoy the work environment? It would also be good for interviews.

It might also be worth researching alternative careers as that can give you an idea of what you'd be missing out on.

To me, it sounds like you've got a good idea of what med is and would enjoy it, and I'm assuming you'll get the grades. But this is 100% your call and it is a committment. No one will ever be 100% sure - I still occasionally worry I'm doing the wrong thing - but at some point you have to make a decision and be at peace with that. Personally I would try and do so now rather than aim for graduate entry medicine, as that is much more expensive and competitive to get into.
zlan223
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Any advice oh wise ones?
You obviously have a passion for the subject and it seems like these other factors you're guilty about just further go in your benefit for wanting to do medicine
I'm quoting Ted Mosby because even though it's a show it has a really good point "If you're not scared then you aren't taking a chance and if you're not taking a chance what the hell are you doing"
Interpret as you will but I always see that it means that you'll never be 100% about anything if you let the few percent hold you back you never flourish and meet your potential so whatever your heart is telling you run and don't look back
good luck
Last edited by zlan223; 1 month ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Any advice oh wise ones?
All sounds very normal. Some of the negatives you've mentioned are only negatives if they form the sole basis of your interest in doing medicine - yes you should not go into medicine purely for money reasons (not because it's immoral to do so, but because you can make the same amount in other careers with a lot less hassle) It's certainly nice to have an above average salary however, and I'm not sure any doctor would disagree with this.

It's also nice to not have to worry about being unemployed, even though the downside of this is letting the NHS organise your career until you're in your 30s. If you want to do medicine and it makes your mum happy at the same time that's not a bad thing by any means.

Only you know your true motivations, so if you're confident that you enjoyed your work experience and you've properly researched the profession and aren't being motivated by unrealistic fantasies of owning 10 Ferraris then it all sounds quite promising

Perhaps you're just overthinking and you need to go with your gut?
Last edited by Democracy; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.66%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.26%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.8%
Financial worries (50)
6.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.69%

Watched Threads