The Student Room Group

How does swapping shifts work?

I've received my F1 rota and need to swap one of my weekend on-calls.

How does this work logistically? I have Fri/Sat/Sun on call with the Thurs & Mon before & after as zero days. If I only need that weekend off can I just swap out those two days or do I have to find someone to swap all three shifts including the Friday? What happens with the zero days, do they get swapped too?

Thanks
Reply 1
It's up to you and whoever you swap with! You can swap the whole block from Thurs-Mon including the zero days (provided that it won't leave either of your teams short staffed on the days you're away), or you can just swap the Sat/Sun - though that would mean that one or both of you may then end up working 12 days straight if you don't also have the zero days after. That wouldn't be allowed under the new contract rules but I'm not so sure if they can stop you from swapping into a stint like that.
As above - its up to you to organise the logistics. Swapping the whole block including zero days is preferable, but you have to consider ward staffing as well.

Obviously any reasonable employer would have asked you what weekends you need off beforehand and avoided this issue.
Reply 3
Thanks both for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending