The Student Room Group

Parents unhappy help

My mum is very unhappy with my dad, he has lot of MH problems but won't get support for any of it and won't change, and is also emotionally neglectful and makes her feel invisible. We've mentioned it to him loads of times, i think he has narcissism.

She wants to make the marriage work though and has tried all she can, but he hasn't tried enough to sort his own problems out he has very low self esteem and is aware we are all unhappy with him (he used to be abu sive for years so we all really dislike him deep down and he knows it) but has a self-pitying 'well i deserve it if you leave' almost pushing people to do it rather than fighting to keep his family together.

I feel like its his last chance she never wanted divorce but is at her wits end. I feel like my parents really can't communicate or handle things as she keeps consulting me, so i want to do something to get through to him. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
My mum is very unhappy with my dad, he has lot of MH problems but won't get support for any of it and won't change, and is also emotionally neglectful and makes her feel invisible. We've mentioned it to him loads of times, i think he has narcissism.

She wants to make the marriage work though and has tried all she can, but he hasn't tried enough to sort his own problems out he has very low self esteem and is aware we are all unhappy with him (he used to be abu sive for years so we all really dislike him deep down and he knows it) but has a self-pitying 'well i deserve it if you leave' almost pushing people to do it rather than fighting to keep his family together.

I feel like its his last chance she never wanted divorce but is at her wits end. I feel like my parents really can't communicate or handle things as she keeps consulting me, so i want to do something to get through to him. Any advice?

They need to seek external help from something like 'Relate' https://www.relate.org.uk/
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
They need to seek external help from something like 'Relate' https://www.relate.org.uk/

Thanks for the link :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest