The Student Room Group

Worried that I may have diabetes

I'm worried that I may have diabetes.
Firstly, I'm slim/skinny and I eat unhealthy.
I have a messed up sleep schedule.

I am tired/sleepy at 8pm and VERY HUNGRY.

I'm 22 btw.

I've been concerned since 2019... I did a blood test in that year and voiced my concerns which came back negative. I did a blood test in January 2021, and results came back fine.. I'm worried I have pre-diabetes or type 2. Help.

I'm so hungry as I type this. I feel like I haven't eaten well/properly today. All I've eaten is: 3 falafels, 1
Packet of McCoys crisp, pot noodle and another Packet of crisp.

I'm Currently Waiting for my dinner to be ready so I can devour.
How does not eating enough mean you have diabetes? You should eat more, there are other illnesses you should be worrying about if you're eating that little.
Reply 2
Of course you'll be tired and hungry when you aren't eating or sleeping properly! See how you feel with a healthy diet and lifestyle. If you are then still tired and hungry, see a doctor.

Why aren't you looking after yourself properly?
You're very unlikely to have diabetes if you're 22 and skinny, no matter what crap you eat. You don't get diabetes just by eating carby foods. Get an A1C test if you're that worried, but you'll probably still be paranoid afterwards.
Reply 4
So you eat poorly and not much, and are confused why you're hungry..? You do know what causes hunger, right?
Reply 5
Original post by Moonlight rain
How does not eating enough mean you have diabetes? You should eat more, there are other illnesses you should be worrying about if you're eating that little.

I didn't say that lol. The symptom was that I was sleepy and hungry which is what diabetic individuals experience and I was wondering if I had on-set diabetes because of that.
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't say that lol. The symptom was that I was sleepy and hungry which is what diabetic individuals experience and I was wondering if I had on-set diabetes because of that.

You're hungry because you're not eating enough
i'm type 1 diabetic, what you describe doesn't exactly fit the bill for what i experienced. the skinniness fits, but i doubt it wouldn't show up on 2 separate blood tests. do you urinate excessively, especially at night? does your breath smell heavily of sugar? are you severely dehydrated? these are all signs of type 1
Original post by Anonymous

From what you've said, you've had 2 blood tests suggesting that you don't have diabetes. If you are still worried, speak to your GP. Though you are obviously going to be hungry and sleepy if that is all you are eating on a daily basis.

Quick Reply

Latest