How can we support LGBTQ+ independent/small businesses?

Watch
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

June is Pride month! :pride:

But we want to be able to support any independent business, including LGBTQ+ businesses all year round. So how are we best going about this?

*Please do not directly advertise/link any specific businesses/products in this thread* - see TSR's guidelines on advertising.

A few ideas that I have:
  • Try not to buy Pride merch or products in general from large chains, unless they are directly donating money from the purchase to (LGBTQ+) charities and organisations
  • Support small LGBTQ+ businesses through websites such as Etsy
  • Look into kick starters for LGBTQ+ businesses/products
  • See if you have any local businesses or any in places that you visit that you can support e.g. a cafe, book shop

So what are your tips for helping small and independent LGBTQ+ businesses?

Check out more Pride Threads in the Pride Hub Thread 2021
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I actively avoid buying items off big businesses that display the pride flag. I reject the monetization of LGBT civil rights.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Supporting genuine causes through your purchase

I love buying from The Pipsqueakery, they do a huge range of LGBT+ and disability inclusive stickers, pins and badges. All their proceeds go to running their small animal rescue centre
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by glassalice)
I actively avoid buying items off big businesses that display the pride flag. I reject the monetization of LGBT civil rights.
And from someone of the LGBTQ+ community, I would also normally avoid buying (especially Pride themed) from big businesses who display it just for the sake of it/to profit from it - I would only buy from them if they actually donated some of the money to charities.

To be honest though, you not buying from them won't make that much of a difference to them :lol:
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Supporting genuine causes through your purchase

I love buying from The Pipsqueakery, they do a huge range of LGBT+ and disability inclusive stickers, pins and badges. All their proceeds go to running their small animal rescue centre
Oh my gosh those products are so cute :love:
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure Emily Gwen (who created the sunset lesbian flag) is going through some financial troubles rn, so if you're looking to buy lesbian pride stuff you can get it from her here, here, or here
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Oh my gosh those products are so cute :love:
I have a few on my laptop, my favourite is the pride hamster :pride:
Name:  20210618_211632.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  188.5 KB
Last edited by CoolCavy; 1 month ago
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And from someone of the LGBTQ+ community, I would also normally avoid buying (especially Pride themed) from big businesses who display it just for the sake of it/to profit from it - I would only buy from them if they actually donated some of the money to charities.

To be honest though, you not buying from them won't make that much of a difference to them :lol:
No, it probably doesn't make a difference to them. I just think the whole thing is reprehensible.

I am too.

I am not sure if you can buy them in the UK, but there is a girl? on tiktoc who advertises some pretty cool pride themed-cookies.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I have a few on my laptop, my favourite is the pride hamster :pride:
Name:  20210618_211632.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  188.5 KB
So so cuteeee! I wonder if we could fit Sandy in a little pride jumper :mmm: (obviously would not do this to my hamster because that's cruel, but still a cute idea initially :lol: )
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
No, it probably doesn't make a difference to them. I just think the whole thing is reprehensible.

I am too.

I am not sure if you can buy them in the UK, but there is a girl? on tiktoc who advertises some pretty cool pride themed-cookies.
Oh I see - I think I misunderstood and that you wouldn't buy from them because of the LGBTQ+ element in general but yeah I agree!

Awesome! Did you see the story about the small bakery business called Confections in Texas? Where they posted a picture of the Pride flag on social media and then a homophobic customer cancelled a massive order with them (that they'd already made so would all go to waste and not get the money for), BUT then they got an outpouring of support and sold all their stock and have a much bigger following from it all now :lol: :love:
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh I see - I think I misunderstood and that you wouldn't buy from them because of the LGBTQ+ element in general but yeah I agree!

Awesome! Did you see the story about the small bakery business called Confections in Texas? Where they posted a picture of the Pride flag on social media and then a homophobic customer cancelled a massive order with them (that they'd already made so would all go to waste and not get the money for), BUT then they got an outpouring of support and sold all their stock and have a much bigger following from it all now :lol: :love:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...h-then-support
This? That kind of backfired for the homophobes :laugh:. Good on the local community though. What a horrible thing to do to a small business.

Sorry if my post was initially confusing, I specifically object to big business monitising the pride flag. I have no problem with the pride flag in it's self.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...h-then-support
This? That kind of backfired for the homophobes :laugh:. Good on the local community though. What a horrible thing to do to a small business.

Sorry if my post was initially confusing, I specifically object to big business monitising the pride flag. I have no problem with the pride flag in it's self.
Yes!! what a lovely story. I followed them on Facebook and the love and support that they've had is amazing! People wanting to order from outside of the US, which they've said they're not set up for yet :lol:

No worries, I misunderstood, clearly I'm so used to coming across homophobes online :grumble: although, I have noticed a gradual improvement over the last few years. Hopefully it will continue :yep:
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One of my Facebook friends is an independent artist who sells a lot of Pride-themed art and goods, but recently has been the victim of copyright infringement and art theft - spam bots have been showing up on pretty much every big LGBTQ+ subreddit all June, posting links to pirate sites selling her designs. So one way to show support is to make sure you're buying from the original creator. :yes:
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Report 6 minutes ago
I'm not sure what business has to do with LGBT+. Private businesses operate on revenue and profit, not identity politics.

A donate a small amount to a mental health organisation with most online purchases I make.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 2 minutes ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (48)
15.24%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (102)
32.38%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (39)
12.38%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.57%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.4%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.95%

Watched Threads