The Student Room Group

Product design bsc vs product design engineering

Hi I’m currently studying 3D design, maths and physics at sixth form and currently looking into studying a product design related course at uni. I like both the creative side and mathematical side to product design but unsure if product design engineering would be too technical and not be at all creative. Has anyone got any advice which is better for me ?

Also any recommendations on unis and courses?

I hope to get AAB or ABB.

Thanks
Hello

I did product design BA however i did BSC components in first year (we decided on which one we wanted to do at the end of first year)

The best way to think of it is a spectrum with art at one end and engineering at the other.

BA product design has slight overlaps with art, BSC product design has slight overlaps with engineering

Both overlap with each other in the middle as you cant have a successful design that is only aesthetic or only functional.

I would say the further along you get to engineering the less creative it becomes yes but i cant say much on how creative an actual engineering course is as i havent done it.

I am a design engineer now though which has a lot of technical design elements and i cant say i feel like doing a BA has held me back at all, perhaps if it was a very physics and maths heavy then it would but those arent roles which attract me anyway.

Have a look around unis and courses and decide what suits you the most :smile:
Reply 2
Ok thanks for the help

What uni did you got to ?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest