Good enough for Computer Oxbridge?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, simple question: are six 9s and three 8s good enough to study Computer science at Oxbridge? (obviously given that I perform well in A-Levels)
wizkid44
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, that's terrible. You'd be lucky to go to university at all.
Last edited by Theloniouss; 1 month ago
M_m_m03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's much more to getting into comp sci at oxbridge than just GCSEs grades. The most important elements are the admissions tests and interviews. You need to be aware that comp sci at oxbridge is one of, if not the most competitive course to get onto at oxbridge. I had 9 grade 9s, an A* in an old spec GCSE, along with 4 A* A-level predictions and got rejected pre interview for maths and computer science at Oxford. However your GCSE results will put you in a strong position.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by M_m_m03)
There's much more to getting into comp sci at oxbridge than just GCSEs grades. The most important elements are the admissions tests and interviews. You need to be aware that comp sci at oxbridge is one of, if not the most competitive course to get onto at oxbridge. I had 9 grade 9s, an A* in an old spec GCSE, along with 4 A* A-level predictions and got rejected pre interview for maths and computer science at Oxford. However your GCSE results will put you in a strong position.
Did you get rejected based on your MAT score?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
tbh they will be more interested in your COD records. send them your recent K/D ratios.
M_m_m03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Did you get rejected based on your MAT score?
Yepp.. Oxford give out far less interviews than Cambridge and so the MAT is really important (and much harder) than Cambridge's TMUA. Also if you are thinking of applying to the math+comp sci course you would need to be VERY comfortable with the MAT as the average score needed on the mat just to get to interview for maths and comp sci is usually higher than the average score of a pure maths or pure comp sci offer holder.
Anonymous #1
Yepp.. Oxford give out far less interviews than Cambridge and so the MAT is really important (and much harder) than Cambridge's TMUA. Also if you are thinking of applying to the math+comp sci course you would need to be VERY comfortable with the MAT as the average score needed on the mat just to get to interview for maths and comp sci is usually higher than the average score of a pure maths or pure comp sci offer holder.
Do you know/remember what % you got on the paper MAT paper?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by the bear)
tbh they will be more interested in your COD records. send them your recent K/D ratios.
Oh no I suck ass at cod 😂
M_m_m03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got 67.. the average mark for people who were invited to interview for maths + comp sci was like 81 or 82. For pure maths the average mark to get to interview was 75 so along with the strong GCSEs I would have probs got an interview if I had applied for pure maths. But I would have probs needed at least 75 or 76 to have stood a chance to get a maths+comp sci interview along with my strong GCSEs. You should note though that boundaries change every year depending on how hard the paper is.
M_m_m03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also its useful to know that the earlier MAT papers are much much easier than the more recent MAT papers.
Anonymous #1
Also its useful to know that the earlier MAT papers are much much easier than the more recent MAT papers.
Okay that’s good to know. Thank you for all the helpful replies!! Much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads