how effective are SSRIS antidepressants are in treating anxiety and depression?

Watch
username5784687
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know how effective SSRIS antidepressants are in treating anxiety and depression?
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pretty damn good. That’s why they’re the first thing they’ll prescribe you

Before being on them, I couldn’t stay in a separate hotel room to my parents as I wouldn’t sleep and usually threw up too.
After 3 weeks on them, I stayed in a separate room without issues. Not even a single intrusive thought
Last edited by WantBeAnonymous; 1 month ago
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the individual. There are multiple types so sometimes it takes a while to find the right tablet for the person, as the tablet may not work, or side effects may be too much. For me, I can’t tolerate SSRI’s at all and have been told to never take them again in my life due to the extreme adverse psychiatric response I get from them. Instead I’m on a different type of anti-depressant and it’s the best medication I’ve ever been given, however, that’s my experience and others will tell a different story of being on my medication.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
Some work, some don't. The ones that do work don't work as well as illegal drugs due to backwards outdated draconian policies. I'm waiting for psychedelics and cannabis to be approved for medical use and legalised.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Overall, research shows antidepressants help to reduce the symptoms of moderate and severe depression in adults. But different people have very different experiences with these medications.

While some people will get better without them, generally people see an improvement in their symptoms and quality of life after using antidepressants, particularly when their depression is more severe. Some patients report mixed experiences of feeling the benefit of functioning better but also of having side effects. Others find that these medications just don’t work, or have very unpleasant side effects.

If your doctor does prescribe an antidepressant, they will still need to see you regularly to monitor how you are, whether you are getting side effects, and whether you need to carry on taking the antidepressant.

Antidepressants don't necessarily treat the underlying cause of the depression, or take it away completely – but they can help to control the symptoms. That is why they are often used together with psychotherapies.

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mental-hea...archTerms=ssri
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not something i'd ask internet randos tbh.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look at the data, that aren't much better than placebo. There is no good evidence that depression is the result of a chemical imbalance of serotonin, this was just a clever marketing tactic.

Prozac (can't spell the generic name) made me go loopy lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
6.32%
Uncertainty around my education (21)
11.05%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (21)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (28)
14.74%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (12)
6.32%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (16)
8.42%
Financial worries (10)
5.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
3.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.37%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
3.16%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (23)
12.11%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.37%

Watched Threads