Flowers on a first date?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Would you buy flowers for a first date? i'm going on a date in a few days and i'm wondering should i get flowers? i'll be picking her up so people have told me to give them her when opening the door for her, thoughts?
username3962008
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think flowers are a nice gesture, most girls would appreciate it. Maybe get roses? That's quite romantic.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Rosessta3rs7)
I think flowers are a nice gesture, most girls would appreciate it. Maybe get roses? That's quite romantic.
Yeah i was thinking roses, i'm more stuck on when to give them her? maybe when she gets into the car or when i get out to open the door for her? or is that a little too much? 🤣
username3962008
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When you open the door, the car might be a little too much but that's just my opinion. You seem like a decent guy, she is one lucky girl.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Rosessta3rs7)
When you open the door, the car might be a little too much but that's just my opinion. You seem like a decent guy, she is one lucky girl.
Like open the door from the inside or get out and open her door? if you mean open from the inside should i give them her as she gets in? thank you.
username3962008
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Like open the door from the inside or get out and open her door? if you mean open from the inside should i give them her as she gets in? thank you.
I mean, open her door? I don't think this matters much. I think she would appreciate it whatever you do.
tayyyphil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I definitely think you should open the car door for her and then see if she does it for you. Thats right, theres a whole test out there to prove whether she cares about you or is just selfish

Anonymous #1
So i should pull up and then get out with the flowers and give them her and open her door and close it then get back into the drivers seat? sounds like the right way of doing it?
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Giving flowers on a first date is a terrible idea.

It gives the impression that you are weak, needy, desperate, lacking in self confidence, a doormat, that you have to buy girls things in order for them to spend time with you.

Attractive men don't give flowers to women that aren't already firmly their girlfriend or wife. They don't have to. Their time is valuable and them spending time with a woman is already plenty of reward for her. And vice versa.

If you really really insist on buying flowers - like maybe if you're a florist and they will cost you next to nothing - give them as a present to her mum. Do not give them to your date.
Justaboutalive
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Uh i would think giving them as soon as she gets in the car is a lot at once. I would give them at the end of a date if you wanna.
Anonymous #1
Something is telling me to go with the giving of flowers but at the same time maybe it is a little too much :/ i'm not doing it to try show off or anything i just assumed its what you did on a first date and sorta what girls expected like being a gentleman. So you think i should skip flowers and maybe just open the door for her and thats it lol?
Justaboutalive
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean i think the idea of being gentlemanly is nice, but don't need to overdo it all in one go, like maybe you will have more dates in future and can give them then.
Speedy453
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Something is telling me to go with the giving of flowers but at the same time maybe it is a little too much :/ i'm not doing it to try show off or anything i just assumed its what you did on a first date and sorta what girls expected like being a gentleman. So you think i should skip flowers and maybe just open the door for her and thats it lol?
Just don't pull a Ted Mosby and you should be fine
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I agree with Dunnig Kruger and Justaboutalive,

Flowers is a bit cringe ngl. Like, sure, you give her flowers... what now?

It seems to me like you’re trying to win her by doing cute things instead of her actually liking you for how you are.

Some girls will definitely see it as etiquette but ultimately I think you should just stick to opening the door for her. In the future, or the next couple dates, you can go ahead and get her the flowers.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
I agree with Dunnig Kruger and Justaboutalive,

Flowers is a bit cringe ngl. Like, sure, you give her flowers... what now?

It seems to me like you’re trying to win her by doing cute things instead of her actually liking you for how you are.

Some girls will definitely see it as etiquette but ultimately I think you should just stick to opening the door for her. In the future, or the next couple dates, you can go ahead and get her the flowers.
So for the first date i shouldn't give her anything? i feel like getting out the car just to open the door for her with no gift seems silly tho? so i'm guessing just lean over and open the door from the inside or? dam whys this **** so stressful 🤣
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So for the first date i shouldn't give her anything? i feel like getting out the car just to open the door for her with no gift seems silly tho? so i'm guessing just lean over and open the door from the inside or? dam whys this **** so stressful 🤣

Get out of your car and open the door for her dude.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Get out of your car and open the door for her dude.
Sorted then 🤣 thanks everyone 👍
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorted then 🤣 thanks everyone 👍

Good luck lol. Go in for the hug too if you want.

Show some authority dude. This is your court
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't give her anything. And don't buy her an expensive meal. A drink or two or a bar snack is fine.

When you arrive at her place you should switch your ignition off, get out of the car,lock it, knock on her door or ring her bell and ask if you can use the toilet.

When you are inside her home you should introduce yourself and have a pleasant friendly chat with everyone in there.

There's 2 forms of manners. One is holding your knife and fork properly and not burping loudly nor swearing etc. This form of manners is not that important. Don't worry if you are lacking in this form.
The other is being positive and friendly and enthusiastic and having enough empathy for the people around you. This form of manners is important. Aim to get really good at this form of manners.

As a general guide, aim to do the stronger thing whenever you have the choice of 2 options. Strong men are attractive. Weak men aren't. And by strength I don't mean beating everyone at arm wrestling. I mean mental and emotional strength more than physical strength.

So that, for example, strong men don't boast. Weaker men do.
Weak men don't listen well to what their date is saying because they're preparing what they want to say in their heads. Strong men listen attentively and then respond appropriately.
Weak men moan about things in their lives. Strong men get on with things and focus on the positives. Etc etc etc

Weak men bring flowers to first dates. Strong men bring themselves.
Weak men take their long term girlfriends for granted. Strong men reward the women they've loved for months or years with unexpected gifts, like flowers on non special days.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't do flowers either.... think it through, WTF exactly is she then supposed to do with them all night? leave them to wilt in your car? carry them about? get them dried out, crushed, sat on... it just ends up an awkward imo, watching your gift literally decay and flake petal by petal before both your eyes

I'd be more likely to take flowers as a gift for someone's home, or for a genuinely special occasion (mibbie they started new job etc)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (34)
27.87%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
9.02%
No I am happy with my choice (68)
55.74%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.38%

Watched Threads