Do intermediate musical notes exist?

Watch
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I started to wonder if there are notes between flat, natural, and sharp notes when I heard the songs "Brother Louie", "Cheri Cheri Lady", "Do You Wanna", and "Atlantis is Calling (SOS for Love)" by Modern Talking.

I noticed that they have notes that don't sound like a Re but don't sound like its sharp version, either, more like in between them.
E11i0tth11114
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, there are notes in between! There are frequencies assigned as musical notes between semitones, called quarter tones. They are noted by the half sharp and half flat symbols.
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by E11i0tth11114)
Yes, there are notes in between! There are frequencies assigned as musical notes between semitones, called quarter tones. They are noted by the half sharp and half flat symbols.
Wow, that's amazing!
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any number of intermediate musical notes exist. Between any of those notes, an additional, infinite number of musical notes also exist. You can just average two frequencies to get the frequency halfway between them, then find the frequency halfway between that one and one of the original ones, then keep doing that indefinitely, at any pitch. All of those are valid musical notes, although most are not normally used in our musical culture. A slide whistle, trombone, or violin are capable of playing any of them, although a xylophone or piano are not (unless you do shenanigans like reaching inside and manually damping it in different places).
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 1 month ago
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Any number of intermediate musical notes exist. Between any of those notes, an additional, infinite number of musical notes also exist. You can just average two frequencies to get the frequency halfway between them, then find the frequency halfway between that one and one of the original ones, then keep doing that indefinitely, at any pitch. All of those are valid musical notes, although most are not normally used in our musical culture. A slide whistle, trombone, or violin are capable of playing any of them, although a xylophone or piano are not (unless you do shenanigans like reaching inside and manually damping it in different places).
Indeed, nuances in notes do exist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
14.84%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (100)
32.26%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.26%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.71%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.48%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25.48%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.97%

Watched Threads