I now hate medicine in my 3rd year (out of 5) of medical school... what do I do now?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically, I've realised I'm only here to please my parents... they're also paying international school fees (I'm from Canada).

I can't see myself doing FY and I'm really mad I didn't just force them to let me study back home (my dad threatened to send me to a medical school in the Caribbean if I didn't get into a medical school in the UK; please understand this was scary for a 17 year old).

I know LTFT (less than full-time training) exists, but it does come with some eligibility requirements.

What can I do with an MBBS degree outside of Medicine? ...
Donahmed786
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You do not have to become a doctor even if you do medicine as a degree(although the majority do) i would say finish the 5 year course and go into whatever you want to do.
annacorriero
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can go into med tech companies, pharmaceutical companies, you can go down the path of education whereby you do a pgcert and teach clinical skills or a master in a specific area of medicine and then teach physiology, pharmacology or whatever! You can do so much. Best of luck
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically, I've realised I'm only here to please my parents... they're also paying international school fees (I'm from Canada).

I can't see myself doing FY and I'm really mad I didn't just force them to let me study back home (my dad threatened to send me to a medical school in the Caribbean if I didn't get into a medical school in the UK; please understand this was scary for a 17 year old).

I know LTFT (less than full-time training) exists, but it does come with some eligibility requirements.

Do you know what you want to do?

Can you transfer to another degree?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

You're so close to finishing and the truth is most students have regrets close to their final years. That's when you truly get a glimpse of what the real world might hold and the difficulty of your profession. My advice is if you can and you have the brains just stick it out and finish medical school, it's a big achievement. If you don't want to become a doctor there are other paths you can follow, as others have mentioned. But at the end of the day you need to start owning your life and show your parents that they can't dictate it for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (0)
0%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (0)
0%
No I am happy with my choice (0)
0%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads