Preparation for A levels during GCSEs

Watch
Bobblybubbly
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, so I was wondering if someone can give me advice on how I can prepare for A levels during summer of GCSEs, in terms of reading, etc, for example, would it be useful to read the textbook ahead, etc (and anything in particular to prepare for Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths)?
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would advise against trying to learn A-level content from an A-level textbook. If you want to do something try the cgp headstart to A-level books for the sciences. Just make some notes and test yourself using the questions at the end of each page. For maths just keep practicing your gcse maths but if your already really confident with it maybe look at gcse further maths if you didn’t take it. Just do a little bit and make sure you take time to relax!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't really need to unless you have a specific interest. It would help to be secure on GCSE content though.

Maths you should make sure you're secure on stuff like algebra, (quadratics, algebraic fractions, etc.) trigonometry and coordinate geometry. (intersections of lines, tangents to circles, that sort of thing)

I'm not that familiar with the new GCSE physics spec (did the old one), but reading the Edexcel one there seems to be quite a lot of overlap. If you're confident with most of GCSE physics, you should be good to go into A-level. (indeed you'll spend quite a bit of the AS recapping what you already know) I came in with pretty weak understanding of the GCSE, had pretty much blagged through the exams, but managed to pick it up.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (47)
15.02%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (101)
32.27%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (39)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.63%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.43%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25.24%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed