atiqa.h
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Heyy guys
I really want to take sociology, business and art at a levels but people say that art isn’t worth it but I’m really good at it and enjoy it also I have no stem subjects that I’m taking so that isn’t really too strong.
I’m really stressed out because I feel like my options won’t take me anywhere and my parents are even saying to pick stems but I’m really comfortable with studying sociology, business and art please can someone give me advice on my options
lazydunk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you got any idea what you want to do in the future?
emperor zurg
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You have a really good range of options, which is good as it allows you to pick from a broad range of subjects (if you plan to go to Uni). Art A-Level is quite similar to the GCSE but requires a lot more independent work, so if you enjoy that is a good sign.
atiqa.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by lazydunk)
Have you got any idea what you want to do in the future?
I want to do something like branding, interior design, graphic design and advertising but I don’t mind looking into teaching
atiqa.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by emperor zurg)
You have a really good range of options, which is good as it allows you to pick from a broad range of subjects (if you plan to go to Uni). Art A-Level is quite similar to the GCSE but requires a lot more independent work, so if you enjoy that is a good sign.
Thank you it’s just that everyone is putting down my options
medic_papatya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
u can always pick a fourth subject as STEM then drop it if you wish
atiqa.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by medic_papatya)
u can always pick a fourth subject as STEM then drop it if you wish
My school isn’t allowing us to take as levels right now
lazydunk
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by atiqa.h)
I want to do something like branding, interior design, graphic design and advertising but I don’t mind looking into teaching
In that case, art would be very helpful, perhaps more helpful than business even. Keeping your options open is a good thing, but for most of the careers you're interested in you'd need 1 art subject. I'd stick with your options if I were you
atiqa.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by lazydunk)
In that case, art would be very helpful, perhaps more helpful than business even. Keeping your options open is a good thing, but for most of the careers you're interested in you'd need 1 art subject. I'd stick with your options if I were you
Thank you soo much in your opinion would these subjects lead to high paying jobs
lazydunk
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you soo much in your opinion would these subjects lead to high paying jobs
Obviously it depends on the exact career you go into, but there's definitely opportunity for high-paying jobs whichever A-Levels you choose. I'd do some more in-depth research and take a look at average salaries etc if you want to know the specifics!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some top universities actually list their preferred subjects. I know LSE, UCL and Sheffield do. I havent checked them recently but they used to list Art and Sociology on them and usually they require 2 choices off their preferred subject list.

Stem subjects do provide more option but unless you are interested in things like Medicine, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics or similar you dont need them. You should only take a subject if are you good at it and it is something you will enjoy.

Check the university entry requirements for the kind of subjects that you are interested in. If there is a specific subject requirement then you will need to take it. Otherwise take subjects that you will enjoy.

The Russell Group have a booklet called informed choices. You can put in your A level subjects in that and it will advise you which options are available with your subjects. I attach a link for you to look at.

https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your A level choices are ideal for those options.

Ignore the stem snobs. A stem subject wouldn’t improve your application for degrees or jobs along those lines - and for some of those careers a stem subject would be far far less use than the subjects you have chosen.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
These are all possible: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-leve...ociology?o=210

If it's Fine Art then just change - it's YOUR life - listen to your own heart.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads