eduorclinpsych
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know of any English Literature degree reading lists available online? Or perhaps wouldn't mind sharing some book and poetry titles that they needed to read on their course?

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to pursue a lit degree but I would love to learn to be more of a critical reader in my free time.
Jaz._bg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by eduorclinpsych)
Does anyone know of any English Literature degree reading lists available online? Or perhaps wouldn't mind sharing some book and poetry titles that they needed to read on their course?

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to pursue a lit degree but I would love to learn to be more of a critical reader in my free time.
https://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/admissi...h-reading-list

This is an oxford university reading list, if your looking at any universities in particular I'm sure you could find more of their reading lists online. I think that a good place to start would be to explore different genres that might interest you like classic literature for example, there are sites such as penguin books that have an entire section dedicated to English Literature classics and they also recommend some books there.

A lot of good sites such as Waterstones or Goodreads recommend lots of different books or poetry and you get to see a lot of peoples reviews to see if it would interest you the most. I hope this helped!
MissLion
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on the modules you take... mine

The Odyssey, Homer
Metamorphosis (Book 8), Ovid
The Aeneid (Book 2), Virgil
The Republic (Book 10), Plato
Antigone, Sophocles
Oedipus Rex, Sophocles

Selected Works, Audre Lorde
Michael Field: The Poet, K.Bradley and E.Cooper
Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, James Joyce
Ulysses, James Joyce
Merchant of Venice, Shakespeare
Hamlet, Shakespeare
Beowulf, Seamus Heaney
Poems of Phillis Wheatley
Narrative, Olaudah Equiano

Essays, Ralph Waldo Emerson
Collected Poems, Emily Dickinson
Narrative, Frederick Douglas
Essential Tales and Poems, Edgar Allan Poe
Scarlett Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne
Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain
The Color Purple, Alice Walker
Benito Cereno, Herman Melville
Bartleby the Scrivener, Herman Melville
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If you want a good overview of English Literature from across different periods, the Norton Anthology of English Literature is not a bad place to start. There are 5 volumes in the set but it covers literature from the Middle Ages right through to the end of the Twentieth Century and has selections from most of the major hitters of the traditional English literary canon - Chaucer, Shakespeare, Spenser, Donne, Milton, Dickens, Woolf, etc, as well as many lesser known but innovative writers (Margaret Cavendish, Aphra Behn, Eliza Haywood). It's a good way to experience some of the major works in English without committing to buying lots of different texts, plus there are useful introductions to each writer as well as contextual introductions to each literary period. A full set of the anthology is quite expensive new but there's usually plenty of copies going second hand on eBay - I picked mine up for about £35.00 including postage.

At Keele, our reading lists change each year so it's difficult to share a stable link with you. However if you look on our website at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/underg...ishliterature/, you can click on the individual modules and get a sense of indicative course content. 'Reading Literature' and 'Texts and Contexts' are two of our core Year One modules so they'd be a good place to start.

Amy Louise
Confusedboutlife
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

We got reading lists every term at uni! I've put a C next to what was compulsory for us. Look at the In Our Time Archives for lots of great stuff which will help you become a better reader. My faves from each exam mixed with what is considered canonical (not always a good thing as it excludes POC/ women writers sometimes).

Old English:
A translation of Beowulf (C) or The Dream of the Rood (C). Look for Old English Bestiary poems (The P***nix, The Panther). I think there's one on a Whale too.

Middle English: The Franklin's Tale (some Canterbury tales C), A Gest of Robyn Hode, The Clerk's Tale, Julian of Norwich translated, Pearl and patience translated. Key text would probably be Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (C)! Sir Orfeo is short and nice.

Renaissance: Astrophil and Stella (C) is amazing. Fowre Hymnes (C) by Spenser is great. Faerie Queene Book 1 & 2 maybe (C)? Monsters, magic and that kind of thing. Combination of Romance and Epic. Donne's Holy Sonnets (C) are a must. Shakespeare plays (C): Hamlet, Macbeth, Richard II & Richard III (very fun), Antony & Cleopatra (incredible). Titus Andronicus a bit crazy! Venus and Adonis if you're looking for Shakespeare's poetry Paradise Lost (C!!!) is breathtakingly beautiful and there's so much to explore in it. Lycidas v v dense but powerful.

Enlightenment and Romantics: Clarissa (C) if you want something massive -- some parts of it are a bit painful but the end is worth it. Gullivers Travels (C) is quite weird! I don't like Wordsworth but The Prelude (C) is a major work from this era. Keats' Ode to a Nightingale is the most beautiful short poem I've read. I guess Frankenstein but you could look at other gothic novels like Zofloya and the Monk. Songs of Innocence and experience by Blake -- tons here I'm missing (Coleridge, Mary Wollenstonecraft, Shelley but I didn't read them). Phyllis Wheatley's poetry is, IMO, very underrated.

Victorians/ nineteenth century American: Maybe one of my favourite periods. Tennyson (The Kraken -- short, Ulysses, Tithonus -- my fave of his, Maud (C) (v fun), In Memoriam (C) is his classic but I wasn't a fan of all of it. Still very much worth it). You could look at Browning for some poetry, Swinburne for a very interesting metre. My favourite novel is Henry James's Portrait of an Artist (C). What Maisie Knew is also great (shorter but a lot to think about) American lit: Emily Dickinson is one of the most enjoyable poets to read -- i'd recommend her most actually. Very short poems that you can think about over and over. Moby **** (C) is also great! Leaves of Grass by Whitman is also one to consider.

Modern lit: I'm not so into this period, but I loved The Waves by Virginia Woolf, Endgame (C) by Beckett and Elizabeth Bishop's poetry!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
17.09%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (37)
31.62%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.26%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.11%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.27%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
23.93%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed