Explain the roles of flows of energy in the formation of a tombolo (8marks)

Watch this thread
lifestartsnow.x
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiiii
I'm in y12 doing OCR A-Level Geography and my mock is next week, and this is one of the potential questions. I've only talked about one role but I'm struggling to think of another one.

Please let me know what you think!

Tombolos are stretches of land that connect a mainland to an island, and are similar to spits and bars. They are mostly formed by the depositional process of longshore drift, which is when material is transported along the coast at a right angle. One way that the role of flows of energy affects the formation of a spit is through wave refraction. Wave refraction is when the speed of waves is different at a coastline, depending on the depth of the water. In the case of a tombolo, prevailing wind causes waves to approach the island from further out to sea, and friction slows it down due to the water becoming shallower. This means that the waves are forced to refract around the island, and any transported sediment is deposited in the area between the island and the mainland, eventually leading to the formation of a tombolo. Therefore, the prevailing wind, which is a form of potential energy plays an important role in the formation of a tombolo through wave refraction.

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads