Last edited by Professor Ops; 1 month ago
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Professor Ops)
Please could you help me with this maths question!Image
To get started, try sketching an equilateral triangle, including the lines joining the centre to the three vertices. The angles between these three lines are equal and add up to 2(pi).
Professor Ops
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by old_engineer)
To get started, try sketching an equilateral triangle, including the lines joining the centre to the three vertices. The angles between these three lines are equal and add up to 2(pi).
Imagelike this?
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
like this?
Yes, now start using trig to find the coordinates of B and C.
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by old_engineer)
Yes, now start using trig to find the coordinates of B and C.
...or perhaps it might be easier to consider the matrix transformation needed for an anticlockwise rotation of a vector through theta degrees (which is given in the formula booklet).
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
Please could you help me with this maths question!
(a) I'd start with the three roots of unity which form an equiliteral triangle. The three values are easily determined. Then compare the two triangles. One is a scaling and rotation of the other. Consider transforming taking 1+0i to 6+2i. What do you have to multiply the first point by to get that transformation - you should be ble to write that down straight off. Then repeat that transformation with the other two vertices, and you're done.

(b) I'd work with the roots of unity triangle again, and then scale result to the desired triangle.
tej3141
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wouldnt it be easier to just work out mod and arg form of 6+2I then add and subtract 2/3pi to the arg and calculate the 2 new complex number?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tej3141)
Wouldnt it be easier to just work out mod and arg form of 6+2I then add and subtract 2/3pi to the arg and calculate the 2 new complex number?
And then convert it back to x+iy format - no, don't think it would be easier. Also, you're asked for the exact values of x,y.
Professor Ops
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
And then convert it back to x+iy format - no, don't think it would be easier. Also, you're asked for the exact vasorrlues of x,y.
sorry for the late reply and thanks for your help. I still have no idea what to do sorry
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
sorry for the late reply and thanks for your help. I still have no idea what to do sorry
The key regarding the equilateral triangle of the cube roots of unity, is that when you multiply by a given complex number, call it z, geometrically you scale your initial number by |z|, and rotate it by arg(z). So, going from the cube roots of unity equilateral triangle, you get to your desired triangle, by a simple multiplication.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
Actually a simpler method for (a). Forget my previous posts. To get the other two points, you can rotate your initial point by 120 degrees. So, what complex number (multiplied) corresponds to a rotation of 120 degrees?

And area can be obtained just by looking at the intial point and making some deductions - geometrically!
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please could you help me with this maths question!Image
Sorry just wondering, where's this question from? 😭
Please don't say Edexcel 😭
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
22.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
8.16%
No I am happy with my choice (31)
63.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads