Nlennon639
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I am a Year 12 student from NI and have just completed my GCSE. I am hoping to apply to a uni course for veterinary medicine after my A-levels.
However, I am concerned about the A-levels that I have chosen to start studying in September.
I have chosen Biology, Chemistry and History. However I am not sure is I can apply to uni with an A-level in History.
I have an opportunity to change this subject and I was wondering if anyone could maybe give me some advice. Can I keep the History? Will it affect my chances of acceptance? What should I change it to?
(I can take any subject except math. My first choice of uni would be UCD, and I would also be open to travelling to England/Scotland to study)
Thanks😃
RambleAmple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure for UCD, but you absolutely 100% can apply to any UK English/Scottish uni with those A Levels. All of them state that as long as you take Biology and Chemistry your 3rd A Level can be completely your choice and the vast majority won't care at all what it is - the exceptions are Cambridge and I believe the Scottish ones 'prefer' you to have a third science A Level of Physics or Maths, however that isn't even a requirement and you can still apply there. All the others have no judgement towards your third A Level.

I took Psychology as my third (and I got an interview at Glasgow so they clearly didn't care too much about their third science preference) and I know other successful applicants who took History like you. As long as you can get ideally an A in it (and Bio and Chem) it doesn't matter what you take. Do what you enjoy and you think you can get the grades in! And (unless you are looking to apply to Cambridge specifically) I'd disregard anyone saying to take Maths/Physics as your third, a lot of people (especially teachers) have this misconception but it's simply not accurate. Though as I said I'm not sure for UCD as I am from England and haven't ever looked into it - just read their entry requirements carefully, and if in doubt, email them. Best of luck!
Nlennon639
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by RambleAmple)
I'm not sure for UCD, but you absolutely 100% can apply to any UK English/Scottish uni with those A Levels. All of them state that as long as you take Biology and Chemistry your 3rd A Level can be completely your choice and the vast majority won't care at all what it is - the exceptions are Cambridge and I believe the Scottish ones 'prefer' you to have a third science A Level of Physics or Maths, however that isn't even a requirement and you can still apply there. All the others have no judgement towards your third A Level.

I took Psychology as my third (and I got an interview at Glasgow so they clearly didn't care too much about their third science preference) and I know other successful applicants who took History like you. As long as you can get ideally an A in it (and Bio and Chem) it doesn't matter what you take. Do what you enjoy and you think you can get the grades in! And (unless you are looking to apply to Cambridge specifically) I'd disregard anyone saying to take Maths/Physics as your third, a lot of people (especially teachers) have this misconception but it's simply not accurate. Though as I said I'm not sure for UCD as I am from England and haven't ever looked into it - just read their entry requirements carefully, and if in doubt, email them. Best of luck
Thank you so much😄
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (29)
29.9%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
10.31%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
53.61%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed