repeating year 12 - is it the end of the world?

Watch
languidlearner
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
this academic year has sharply taken a turn for the worse. my end of year exams are steadily approaching and, in my entirely honest opinion, i don't see myself performing well enough to progress to year 13 (DDDD is the passing requirement - anything below is unacceptable by my school's standards). there are a myriad of reasons as to why - procrastination, overwhelment and profuse hopelessness during lockdown to name a few, though none of the reasons listed are in any way a justification for my indolence.

provided that i do fail these upcoming exams, it's likely that i'll have to repeat year 12. i'm not opposed to doing this as i'm so deeply ashamed of myself and think failure is exactly the sort of wake up call i've needed for a long time.

so my question is - how will repeating the year impact me? (my chances to get into university).
additionally, to those who have first-hand experience with repeating the year - any advice? what was it like for you?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It terms of how it will impact you, some courses at some universities don’t accept people who took more than 2 years to complete their A Levels - however I’m speaking for medicine and dentistry. I assume that if you’re applying for something else, you might not come across this problem as much, but it would still be good to double check before you apply.
languidlearner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
It terms of how it will impact you, some courses at some universities don’t accept people who took more than 2 years to complete their A Levels - however I’m speaking for medicine and dentistry. I assume that if you’re applying for something else, you might not come across this problem as much, but it would still be good to double check before you apply.
i can't say with certitude what i'd like to study but i'm thinking economics and politics? something along those lines
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by languidlearner)
i can't say with certitude what i'd like to study but i'm thinking economics and politics? something along those lines
If you have any idea of which universities you’d like to apply to, check out their course pages for the degrees you’re interested in and look for their entry requirements. If it’s not clear on their website if they’ll accept resits, you can email their admissions teams (also on the website).
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The ex-girlfriend of one of my kids bombed in Year 12 (no extenuating circumstances, just didn't get her act together) and retook it. She went on to read Law at Nottingham
Granolakiddo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiyaa, i'm in the same situation and i've got a mock in chem on tuesday. i feel like this year has been really bad especially with my topic tests as i did those during lockdown and they went badly as well. I really want to move schools and do either different or same subjects.
languidlearner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Granolakiddo)
Hiyaa, i'm in the same situation and i've got a mock in chem on tuesday. i feel like this year has been really bad especially with my topic tests as i did those during lockdown and they went badly as well. I really want to move schools and do either different or same subjects.
Hello!

It truly has been a tough year but i'm trying to see the silver lining. I'm not planning on moving schools unless mine doesn't allow me to repeat the year. Do you know what subjects you might change?
wokepreacher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Granolakiddo)
me too, i have my mocks this week starting from tomorrow and i want to move schools to switch my subjects. i want to study maths at uni, but have no idea whether oxford would accept me if i retake year 12...
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is the repeated entirely due to your ability to work hard and concentrate or do you think you chose the wrong subjects? Just out of curiosity
languidlearner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
Is the repeated entirely due to your ability to work hard and concentrate or do you think you chose the wrong subjects? Just out of curiosity
i genuinely enjoy all of my subjects - the failure is mostly testament to my inability to concentrate and generally weak work ethic
Last edited by languidlearner; 1 month ago
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i genuinely enjoy all of my subjects - the failure is mostly testament to my inability to concentrate and generally weak work ethic
Fair enough
Granolakiddo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello!

It truly has been a tough year but i'm trying to see the silver lining. I'm not planning on moving schools unless mine doesn't allow me to repeat the year. Do you know what subjects you might change?
yeah i haven't spoken to my teachers about it yet but i just finished my last mock exam and it went badly. I will probably have to see the result in 2 weeks, but thats about it. I am going to a college open day and i'm gonna email them tomorrow about my situation and subject wise i do sociology, bio, chem. i might change chem to politics and if i have to change bio as well then probably to history. But it really depends on what is gonna happen in the upcoming weeks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
22.92%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
8.33%
No I am happy with my choice (30)
62.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
6.25%

Watched Threads