Anxiety about applying to medicine with current predicted grades. Advice wanted

Watch
11anonnn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi this post is aimed at current medical students, I’m currently in Year 12 and my predicted grades are nowhere near where they need to be for me to use to apply to the universities I want to. I’ve been struggling a lot with my mental health this past year which has, for the first time, affected my academic performance. My best grade on the recent mocks was a C. I don’t know what to do and it’s causing me an insane amount of anxiety. Is there anyone else who was in this situation in Year 12 and still managed to get into a top London University the first time round (I want to apply to Imperial, Kings, was going to go for oxbridge but I don’t know anymore). I don’t want to go the biomed->apply as a postgrad to Medicine route and I know there is the option of doing medical sciences then transferring after first year but if any current Medical students could give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you
ism41l_16
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Im not a current medical student but I dont think that those top london universities would accept you this year. You probably should aim to get the grades needed for the university achieved and reapply with the next year
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Could you be eligible for foundation year degrees or widening partcipation offers - those could lower the grades you need.

There are also some medical schools that don't look at predicted grades, but your offer would still be AAB (at KMMS) or AAA+ (everywhere else). Personally, I don't think it would be a good idea to apply hoping to get AAA if you are struggling this badly as admissions tests and interviews will take even more time away from your A levels and if you don't get the grades you will still miss out.

Is your school aware of your mental health difficulties, and could they explain this as mitigating circumstances? This would then open more doors if you do need to resit A levels to get AAA+ or if you decided to retake Y12 having taken time out to get better.

Medical school and A levels are tough so I would really focus on getting better so you are able to get AAA+ and succeed at medical school :hugs:You will always have options later such as resits and there is no point doing nothing, throwing yourself against the metaphorical wall of mental ill health, then being stressed and upset when you can't achieve the grades you need and deserve.

Also, just FYI, there are no such thing as "top" and "bottom" med schools. All schools are are GMC accredited and will end with you becoming a doctor - but they all have different entry requirements, so to achieve a place you will need to apply strategically to schools that will interview you, even if that's Keele or UEA!

:goodluck:
anonymous#192
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I had this same issue in year 12 - I had surgery a couple of weeks before my predictor exams and wound up bed bound until just before my exams and unable to revise (I was loopy on morphine so any revision was useless). My school gave me the grades which I had managed to achieve in the predictor exams and no amount of arguing would sway them to give me any kind of special consideration despite the fact that I had consistently been getting 1/2 grades higher in each subject for a whole year before that. I ended up not applying in october of year 13 and instead took a gap year, then considered reapplied using my actual a level grades in the october after my actual grades came out. Some universities give special consideration in these circumstances but I found London unis to not really care because they have so much competition it makes it easier for them to ignore any questions about special consideration. I didn't end up applying in the UK however I now have an offer for medicine at my number 1 choice (it was my first choice overall, and happened to be outside the UK). If you do want to study in London you could definately apply in october after you get your a level grades (in fact, some unis prefer it and give you preference, eg. cardiff, because you have actually achieved the grades, compared to people who are just predicted to achieve them, especially given there are some schools that just hand out good grades left right and centre in the predictors just to allow their students to apply to prestigious unis and courses)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.89%
Excited but a bit nervous (121)
45.66%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.83%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.62%

Watched Threads