Unaccredited degrees /open university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I’m thinking about studying online next year as I’m autistic and after being inside for a year due to covid I don’t think I’ll be able to adjust to going back to classes with other people. I’ve been looking at Open University but some of the degrees I’ve looked at aren’t accredited, how would this prevent me getting a job in the future? I’m unsure of what I want to do but I’m interested in Classical Studies, Arts and Humanities or an open degree
mathperson
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Studying with the OU will make absolutely no difference.
'Traditional' universities have in the past sought to downplay organisations like the OU based on their dogma about "how university should be".
Go for it. The OU is a fantastic organisation, especially for postgraduates and research students, as there are no undergraduates on campus.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,

I’m thinking about studying online next year as I’m autistic and after being inside for a year due to covid I don’t think I’ll be able to adjust to going back to classes with other people. I’ve been looking at Open University but some of the degrees I’ve looked at aren’t accredited, how would this prevent me getting a job in the future? I’m unsure of what I want to do but I’m interested in Classical Studies, Arts and Humanities or an open degree
Accreditation comes with degrees that have professional bodies that govern professional qualifications, eg medical degrees, architecture, psychology engineering etc.

There's no accreditation involved in subjects like classical studies, or any arts or humanities degrees. If it's a degree programme, it's a degree, OU or brick uni.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you can't handle uni because of other people you might be in trouble at job interviews and dealing witn people in the workplace...

Not sure this is a good reason to select the OU over a trad university
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you mean by accredited? None of the subjects you’ve mentioned are subjects that qualify you for anything and these subjects don’t have a regulatory body, royal society etc. so there isn’t any external body to provide accreditation in them.
If you want to do a vocational degree, then you have to have an idea of what you want to do first. The more academic subjects you’ve mentioned give you an opportunity to explore your interests and give you an idea of what sort of job you want to do first before committing to a particular career.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, accreditation is only important for degrees that lead to particular professions or vocations, which most general academic courses don't. They are just as employable as any other degree for jobs outside of those specific vocations without that though!
Ray0209
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,

Go for it! I am autistic myself and study with the OU. The support is outstanding!
Misplaced94
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Ignore the negative messages.
Like others have said, accreditations are only for certain degrees anyway.
I chose the OU due to extreme social anxiety and over the 6 years (I chose to study part-time) I have got a lot more confident in social situations.
But without the OU I wouldn't have been able to get a degree.
Plus, I'm very set in my ways and the OU basically lets you get on with it, however you best deal with things. Which is invaluable sometimes!
That being said, being left to your own devices also has it's downsides.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.99%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.49%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (82)
10.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (102)
12.73%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.99%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.62%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (87)
10.86%
Financial worries (53)
6.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.37%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.12%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (76)
9.49%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (63)
7.87%

Watched Threads