Would these grades be good enough for Oxbridge?

Watch
Picklepips
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m a bit worried, because many of my friends got all 9’s, and COVID had inflated the grades a lot.

Since both my parents went to Oxford, there’s a lot of pressure for me to go to an Oxbridge Uni, and I don’t want to let them down.

Of course, A-Level results matter most, but I wanna know if I can apply or if the competition is too stiff.
I got 9,9,9,9,9,9,9,9,9,8,7
Last edited by Picklepips; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You must realise that this looks like a troll thread, yes? These types of "humble-brag" threads serve only to engender the negative atmosphere that surrounds grades and examinations in the UK, as you frame almost perfect grades as "not good enough" to show off, making everyone who has actually more average grades feel like they must be incredibly stupid. That only then widens attainment gaps and slows social mobility as it puts more and more people off considering uni as an option because of their average but perfectly acceptable to most unis (or even Oxford or Cambridge for some courses) GCSE grades, or makes them feel like they shouldn't even bother in their 6th form studies instead of trying to improve from GCSE to A-level or other qualifications. The alternative is that you lack the extremely basic critical thinking and research skills required to contextualise your grades and realise they are very strong for almost all courses at almost all unis, in which case regardless of your GCSE grades you may struggle with the Oxbridge interview anyway.

In any case, had you done your research you would know that Oxford and Cambridge do not distinguish between 8/9 grades and consider them both equivalent to the old A* grade currently. Also Cambridge in general does not put as much emphasis on GCSEs and various Cambridge admissions tutors have stated on several occasions that they would not reject an applicant solely on the basis of GCSEs. While Oxford does formally use GCSE in shortlisting for most courses, the exact weight of these varies between courses, and the only course there which is really an outlier is medicine, where they are one of two criteria used to shortlist applicants for interview and they only consider number and proportion of A* grades at GCSE, with I think the average being something like 11. So you are very slightly below average for medicine at Oxford. For any other course you would probably not be disadvantaged in any way, and would likely be in a strong position for most courses at Oxford other than medicine (for which your BMAT score would probably need to be a bit stronger than average), provided you do well on the relevant pre-interview admissions assessment.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You must realise that this looks like a troll thread, yes? These types of "humble-brag" threads serve only to engender the negative atmosphere that surrounds grades and examinations in the UK, as you frame almost perfect grades as "not good enough" to show off, making everyone who has actually more average grades feel like they must be incredibly stupid. That only then widens attainment gaps and slows social mobility as it puts more and more people off considering uni as an option because of their average but perfectly acceptable to most unis (or even Oxford or Cambridge for some courses) GCSE grades, or makes them feel like they shouldn't even bother in their 6th form studies instead of trying to improve from GCSE to A-level or other qualifications. The alternative is that you lack the extremely basic critical thinking and research skills required to contextualise your grades and realise they are very strong for almost all courses at almost all unis, in which case regardless of your GCSE grades you may struggle with the Oxbridge interview anyway.
I feel this is a bit harsh. Obviously Oxbridge doesn't demand perfection, but it's understandable that people might assume they do considering the image of those universities. (especially if they think all the other applicants will have all 9s)
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
I feel this is a bit harsh. Obviously Oxbridge doesn't demand perfection, but it's understandable that people might assume they do considering the image of those universities. (especially if they think all the other applicants will have all 9s)
Then this is a necessary rude awakening, as otherwise indulging in the belief that Oxbridge "demands perfection" by not bluntly pointing out the absurdity of these posts simply allows the myth to propagate and means the same issues will recur again and again...
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
No not enough TSR rep gems. Quit slacking.
Picklepips
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

In any case, had you done your research you would know that Oxford and Cambridge do not distinguish between 8/9 grades and consider them both equivalent to the old A* grade currently. Also Cambridge in general does not put as much emphasis on GCSEs and various Cambridge admissions tutors have stated on several occasions that they would not reject an applicant solely on the basis of GCSEs. While Oxford does formally use GCSE in shortlisting for most courses, the exact weight of these varies between courses, and the only course there which is really an outlier is medicine, where they are one of two criteria used to shortlist applicants for interview and they only consider number and proportion of A* grades at GCSE, with I think the average being something like 11. So you are very slightly below average for medicine at Oxford. For any other course you would probably not be disadvantaged in any way, and would likely be in a strong position for most courses at Oxford other than medicine (for which your BMAT score would probably need to be a bit stronger than average), provided you do well on the relevant pre-interview admissions assessment.
Then this is a necessary rude awakening, as otherwise indulging in the belief that Oxbridge "demands perfection" by not bluntly pointing out the absurdity of these posts simply allows the myth to propagate and means the same issues will recur again and again...
Thanks for your reassurance - I realise it sounds a bit pretentious, but when most of your friends (and most of the school tbh) has a full set of nines, it makes you feel rather *****y and inadequate.
samcarolinx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Picklepips)
I’m a bit worried, because many of my friends got all 9’s, and COVID had inflated the grades a lot.

Since both my parents went to Oxford, there’s a lot of pressure for me to go to an Oxbridge Uni, and I don’t want to let them down.

Of course, A-Level results matter most, but I wanna know if I can apply or if the competition is too stiff.
I don't know if this is genuine or not ,you've got the top grades and it seem like you did terrible by asking if they were 'good enough'. And i lowkey thing you know you did well and got good enough grades. just look at the Oxbridge requirements for the course you want to do, I'm pretty sure to get an interview you need decent grade but need to get a stars and a,s at a level , after that if your interview flops its unfortunate if it goes well then good
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please check out this informative video for people in your situation
username3962008
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Picklepips)

Congratulations on your results. I presume it would be good enough for Cambridge or Oxford? I did my GCSE's almost six years ago, and there was no way I could get into Oxford University! If you don't go to Oxbridge, what about St Andrews, York or Warwick? All of these universities are very good and have a great reputation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (35)
15.02%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (71)
30.47%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (29)
12.45%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (20)
8.58%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.58%
I think it's an unfair expectation (62)
26.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.29%

Watched Threads