Anjumnus02
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi
I was planning to take for gcse history but I am a bit wary of dates and information required.

How is it as compared to gcse geography. What is experience of those who have done both.

I looked at the book of gcse geography and it looks straightforward.
Any ideas what should I choose?
Likitha shetty
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hii
I'm 14
I didn't have ideas
Starfish13
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey! I did gcse geography I haven’t done gcse history before tho but I’ve seen work they do.

As far as I know, history has a lot of essays and remembering dates of events. There’s a lot about wars and empires and many famous historical people you will learn about. There’s a lot to remember in history and it all looked a bit boring to me but as I said I haven’t done gcse history I’ve only seen what my friends do in it so u may wanna get another opinion on history.

As for geography, I find that it will be more useful for life as you learn about global warming, climate change, poverty in LICs and food management. There is also topics about rivers, volcanoes and earthquakes and how these are formed. I would say geography is better than history. There aren’t any 40 mark essays unlike history and the most of the questions in the exams are relatively straight forward. For some of the longer 12 mark questions you may need to memorise some case studies but it should be fine.

In the end, just choose the one which u seem will be more interesting to u!
Hope this helped 😄
PixiePresents
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I took history and I loved it. It was so interesting to learn so made it easier to remember the content (I didn't even have to revise much and I'm predicted an 8). Yes, it is content heavy but it's possible once you have a good work ethic and know all the exam techniques ect.
From what i've heard from my friends, geography is an easy gcse, however can be very boring, making it quite tedious to revise for. I say pick history (even though i'm biased) but the choice is yours!
Good luck.
lara!
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anjumnus02)
Hi
I was planning to take for gcse history but I am a bit wary of dates and information required.

How is it as compared to gcse geography. What is experience of those who have done both.

hi! i took both, and honestly love gsce history so much; i think geographys a lot easier, but its so boring. history is quite easy if you learn how to structure questions
daniellanj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anjumnus02)
Hi

Hii,
I am actually studying both rn and you still have to learn "specifics" with both I guess. With geo, you HAVE to know your case studies but then again, same with history and additional dates.

just know that history is very content-heavy compared to geography. I find geo a lot easier to learn but I don't mind the content of history.

I guess it just depends on what you enjoy at the moment.
hope this helps!!!
Picklepips
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did both GCSE history and geography, but I ended up dropping Geography after a year because I personally found it a bit boring. They both contain a lot of content - as you need to learn events for History, and case-studies for Geography, so just choose whichever one you prefer
Last edited by Picklepips; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.66%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.56%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.92%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.53%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
24.04%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads