Taking a gap year. When to apply to UCAS ?

Watch
Pandagumi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am in year 12 and plan to take a gap year before starting an architectural course. So rather than starting uni in 2022, I'm starting around 2023. This is just so I can get some work experience and also produce a portfolio.

I know there's an option for deferred application, but I don't have any viable qualifications (predicted grades) to apply with. Is there a chance I can apply in 2022 when I actually have my a-level results?

tl;dr: If I'm taking a gap year, do I have to defer my application, or can I just apply next year?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pandagumi)
I am in year 12 and plan to take a gap year before starting an architectural course. So rather than starting uni in 2022, I'm starting around 2023. This is just so I can get some work experience and also produce a portfolio.

I know there's an option for deferred application, but I don't have any viable qualifications (predicted grades) to apply with. Is there a chance I can apply in 2022 when I actually have my a-level results?

tl;dr: If I'm taking a gap year, do I have to defer my application, or can I just apply next year?
You can apply during your gap year but without the support of your school or college then that can be quite tricky if it’s your first time applying.

It would be a good idea to put in an application for deferred entry during yr 13 just to get a “practice” of how the system works and to get a reference written before you leave college. You don’t have to accept any offers you get and can reapply during your gap year but it will be a lot easier to do it alone if you have a practice run first.
Pandagumi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks, this was really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (70)
22.95%
Excited but a bit nervous (135)
44.26%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.13%
I'm really nervous (63)
20.66%

Watched Threads