The Student Room Group

How important is gcse

I'm kind of agitated because my offer said I needed 6 in maths and DDD in my btec comp sci to do computer science.

But I think I got a 5 in maths and DDD.

Will I get insta denied just because of my maths grade? It's so annoying seeing some unis asking for grade 6 in maths meanwhile a uni like Nottingham doesn't even care about GCSE. It's a pathetic system
Original post by Regions
I'm kind of agitated because my offer said I needed 6 in maths and DDD in my btec comp sci to do computer science.

But I think I got a 5 in maths and DDD.

Will I get insta denied just because of my maths grade? It's so annoying seeing some unis asking for grade 6 in maths meanwhile a uni like Nottingham doesn't even care about GCSE. It's a pathetic system

They want to know that you'll be able to keep up in the course. A Computer Science degree can be quite maths intensive.

Officially, you haven't met your offer so won't automatically get a place. However, they'll still consider you as a near-miss applicant, so you may still be able to get a place depending on a number of factors (including but not limited to; space on the course, a re-read of your application, and whether they have any concerns about the areas in which you have missed your offer). In this case, the lack of a 6 in GCSE maths may be an area of concern, however I don't work in admissions at that university so obviously can't say that with 100% certainty.
Reply 2
Original post by ry7xsfa
They want to know that you'll be able to keep up in the course. A Computer Science degree can be quite maths intensive.

Officially, you haven't met your offer so won't automatically get a place. However, they'll still consider you as a near-miss applicant, so you may still be able to get a place depending on a number of factors (including but not limited to; space on the course, a re-read of your application, and whether they have any concerns about the areas in which you have missed your offer). In this case, the lack of a 6 in GCSE maths may be an area of concern, however I don't work in admissions at that university so obviously can't say that with 100% certainty.

Still doesn't make sense as Nottingham ranked higher than royal Holloway and Nottingham ranked higher in CS than royal Holloway yet Nottingham doesn't even care and royal Holloway asks for grade 6

Makes literally no sense
Original post by Regions
Still doesn't make sense as Nottingham ranked higher than royal Holloway and Nottingham ranked higher in CS than royal Holloway yet Nottingham doesn't even care and royal Holloway asks for grade 6

Makes literally no sense

Entry requirements aren't an indicator of course quality. Similarly, rankings aren't an indicator of course difficulty.

Nottingham do ask for GCSE Maths grade B or above, which it seems like they're equating to a 5 by their IB requirement: "or GCSE maths, 5 (B) or above", though from most equivalencies I've seen, a 5 is on the border between a C and B, so I'm really surprised they're not asking for a 6.
Reply 4
Original post by ry7xsfa
Entry requirements aren't an indicator of course quality. Similarly, rankings aren't an indicator of course difficulty.

Nottingham do ask for GCSE Maths grade B or above, which it seems like they're equating to a 5 by their IB requirement: "or GCSE maths, 5 (B) or above", though from most equivalencies I've seen, a 5 is on the border between a C and B, so I'm really surprised they're not asking for a 6.

Well that's wrong because their minimum requirements says grade 4 and above
Original post by Regions
Well that's wrong because their minimum requirements says grade 4 and above

Where does it say that? Clearly says here grade B or above and it's the same for the BSc.
Original post by Regions

Makes literally no sense

What does make sense is that having a basic mathematical ability is important for a computer science degree.
Original post by Regions
Still doesn't make sense as Nottingham ranked higher than royal Holloway and Nottingham ranked higher in CS than royal Holloway yet Nottingham doesn't even care and royal Holloway asks for grade 6. Makes literally no sense

Rankings make no sense and are no way to choose a University - rankings can never tell you if that course or Uni is right for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending