The Student Room Group

Why do i worry that ive imagined anxiety and depression

Im about to start sertraline, ive even picked up the prescription, but after a year of very poor mental health and a range of psychological treatments i feel myself feeling like ive been imagining it. I dont know if this is just anxiety about starting medication. I just cant get the worry out of my head :/ its making me question if i should begin treatment or not. Even when i have good days, i start to feel this guilt for enjoying life or possibly that ive been imagining it all along. I just feel so confused on what to do. Any help?
It could be the anxiety and depression making you worry about that.
Original post by Anonymous
Im about to start sertraline, ive even picked up the prescription, but after a year of very poor mental health and a range of psychological treatments i feel myself feeling like ive been imagining it. I dont know if this is just anxiety about starting medication. I just cant get the worry out of my head :/ its making me question if i should begin treatment or not. Even when i have good days, i start to feel this guilt for enjoying life or possibly that ive been imagining it all along. I just feel so confused on what to do. Any help?

Hiya!
Sorry to here that you've been going through such a hard time lately. It's quite a common symptom to doubt the validity of your illness, or to worry that you are 'exaggerating' or 'making a fuss'. Guilt is definitely something that a lot of people suffer with, but it's important to remember that you deserve treatment and you deserve to get better. Just because you sometimes have a good day, doesn't suddenly mean that you are all better, and try to remember that recovery is long process.
Even if you were 'imagining' it, the very fact that you are 'imagining' it and having this anxiety of these feelings is in itself something that needs treatment.
One way of coping with this might be to imagine if a friend was in your position. Would you accuse them of lying or faking if they felt happy sometimes? No, of course not. Be kind to yourself, take your time, and I'd strongly recommend that you continue with your treatment. Starting meds can be quite a daunting or scary thought, but at the end of the day, anything that helps you in the long run is worth it. :smile:

I hope that this might help in some way and that you feel better soon x

Quick Reply

Latest