Roman M
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, I'll be taking a gap year and self-teaching myself further maths a-level during this time. What are some tips/resources/advice you mathematicians have? I intend to register with Edexcel because I've done Maths A-level with them and gotten used to their exam style.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
By all means stick with Edexcel, but you don't register with them - exam boards don't deal directly with candidates - you need to find an exam centre that accepts private candidates. I'd try your current sixth form first as they're likely to be the cheapest option if they'll have you back.

Have you decide which of the optional units you're taking?
Roman M
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
By all means stick with Edexcel, but you don't register with them - exam boards don't deal directly with candidates - you need to find an exam centre that accepts private candidates. I'd try your current sixth form first as they're likely to be the cheapest option if they'll have you back.

Have you decide which of the optional units you're taking?
Yeah after some research I realised that, I'll try to contact my school.
At a glance I'm attracted to the idea of doing further pure 1 and 2 however I'll have to look into each of the options properly
Roman M
Rep:
?
Status update: I'm most likely going to be doing further mechanics 1 and further pure 1. I hate stats, decision looks hella boring, FM1 is literally year 12 physics LOL so I've got that in the bag, and FP1 doesn't look TOO bad and should be good prep for university. People scared me away from FP2 xD
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Roman M)
Hi guys, I'll be taking a gap year and self-teaching myself further maths a-level during this time. What are some tips/resources/advice you mathematicians have? I intend to register with Edexcel because I've done Maths A-level with them and gotten used to their exam style.
This is meant to be a great resource for learning further maths without lessons: https://amsp.org.uk/students/a-level-further/resources
tej3141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Status update: I'm most likely going to be doing further mechanics 1 and further pure 1. I hate stats, decision looks hella boring, FM1 is literally year 12 physics LOL so I've got that in the bag, and FP1 doesn't look TOO bad and should be good prep for university. People scared me away from FP2 xD
Yh that's the same as what I'm doing. Core pure 1 is pretty easy TLmaths has loads of videos covering it. As your said, mech 1 is very simple, you can cover the whole text book in around a week (took me 3 but I dont revise much) and I havent started core pure 2 or further pure 1 yet but I should cover them before next academic year. The textbooks are the most useful resource by far
Roman M
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
This is meant to be a great resource for learning further maths without lessons: https://amsp.org.uk/students/a-level-further/resources
thank you!
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Stats improves massively at FM (not that I'm suggesting you do it). Honestly, I think the only resource you really need is the edexcel textbooks. Past papers will be helpful too, and if you can find a teacher with access to the extra edexcel content, that stuff is good.
ll ACR ll
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Further mechanics 1 is the one that I adore the most since most of the stuff (as you say) is physics y12, hell even y11 in terms of momentum. But I don't know whether to pick decision or FP (yeah stats suck).
Roman M
Rep:
?
(Original post by ll ACR ll)
Further mechanics 1 is the one that I adore the most since most of the stuff (as you say) is physics y12, hell even y11 in terms of momentum. But I don't know whether to pick decision or FP (yeah stats suck).
Like you, I'm also stuck between decision or FP. On one hand, decision is "easy marks" as people have put it, whereas FP would be entirely more useful for further education in a Maths-based course.
daniyalsameer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Further Pure 1 is very useful, not to mention fun as well. I hate mechanics and GCSE CS , so I was left with FS1 as my only option. I didnt expect much but it is soooo good, way better than I expected. Its 100x better and more mathematical than Normal A level stats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads