jannasal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi want to apply to medicine in next year, but I’m worried that my predicted GCSE grades won’t be good enough. I feel that I would’ve done better in the real exams but the COVID situation got in the way. I got As in Maths and IT, a B in finance and BB in double award science and the rest are Cs, including English which is the main problem for me.
username5584114
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nottingham doesn’t give medical places on GCSEs I’d say speak to someone who’s applying to medicine and focus on alevels and the admissions test to put u at an advantage
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Procrastonator)
Nottingham doesn’t give medical places on GCSEs I’d say speak to someone who’s applying to medicine and focus on alevels and the admissions test to put u at an advantage
Nottingham does use GCSEs in their shortlisting process, although the weighting will be a bit less for 2022 entry than in recent years.

jannasal resit your C in Eng Lang, as this will open up for more possibilities for you, as there are only about 6 med schools that will accept a C at Eng Lang, unless you have WP flags (and still give you a realistic chance of an interview)
jannasal
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Nottingham does use GCSEs in their shortlisting process, although the weighting will be a bit less for 2022 entry than in recent years.

jannasal resit your C in Eng Lang, as this will open up for more possibilities for you, as there are only about 6 med schools that will accept a C at Eng Lang, unless you have WP flags (and still give you a realistic chance of an interview)
I was thinking of trying to also resit science if I can because I know I would’ve gotten better in the real exam, and I would find it really easy since I’m doing a biology and Chemistry at A level. If I resit English, would I only have to resit language?
jannasal
Rep:
?

(Original post by Procrastonator)
I think many Med schools require at least a B which cuts me off, I want to maximise the chances of me getting in and be competitive as possible,
if I took the BMAT aswell as the MCAT, and scored high would that put me at an advantage and make up for the GCSES possibly?
I really want to get in to Cardiff or Bristol as it is close to home but Cardiff requires a B minimum
libero
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jannasal)
I was thinking of trying to also resit science if I can because I know I would’ve gotten better in the real exam, and I would find it really easy since I’m doing a biology and Chemistry at A level. If I resit English, would I only have to resit language?
english lit and english lang are two different gcses, so yes you can choose to only sit language.

I think many Med schools require at least a B which cuts me off, I want to maximise the chances of me getting in and be competitive as possible,
if I took the BMAT aswell as the MCAT, and scored high would that put me at an advantage and make up for the GCSES possibly?
I really want to get in to Cardiff or Bristol as it is close to home but Cardiff requires a B minimum
the MCAT is the american medical entrance exam, do you mean the UCAT? and i know bristol has 100% weighting on UCAT so as long as you have a 7 in maths and a 4 in english, your GCSEs will not be taken into account. however, cardiff is known as a GCSE heavy school (but they might have changed it so dont take my word for it!)
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are about 6 med schools that will accept a 5, as I say.
Cardiff is the most GCSE heavy med school out there and even people with perfect results do not get an interview.
A high BMAT or UCAT will be good for those med schools that shortlist using these, but will not compensate for minimum requirements or low GCSE scores, where those are used for shortlisting.
As I say, resit any core subjects that are below a B, as you should be able to do this if your results are TAGs without prejudice.
If you live in Wales and go to a non-selective state school, you are likely to have contextual flags, that may lower requirements, so do check this out
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, you only need Eng Lang.
Unless you would make 8+ A*s, then resitting those that make minimum requirements (a B in most places) is unlikely to help you any, as your grades are not going to meet cut offs at med schools that use GCSES heavily in selection, I’m afraid
jannasal
Rep:
?
(Original post by libero)
english lit and english lang are two different gcses, so yes you can choose to only sit language.

the MCAT is the american medical entrance exam, do you mean the UCAT? and i know bristol has 100% weighting on UCAT so as long as you have a 7 in maths and a 4 in english, your GCSEs will not be taken into account. however, cardiff is known as a GCSE heavy school (but they might have changed it so dont take my word for it!)
lol I’m so sorry I meant the UCAT and the BMAT!
but thank you, I’m mostly worried about cardiff, I’m not sure if Queen Mary focuses on GCSES either, as the requirements is AAABBB including English, Maths and Science
Does maths and numeracy also count as two seperate grades?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
but thank you, I’m mostly worried about cardiff, I’m not sure if Queen Mary focuses on GCSES either, as the requirements is AAABBB including English, Maths and Science
Barts just have minimum requirements for GCSE.
Most places will only count maths or numeracy, but do check small print.
For Cardiff, even people wih 9 x A* GCSEs did not get an interview the last few years. For contextuals, it has been around 6 x A*s and 3 x As
jannasal
Rep:
?
Barts just have minimum requirements for GCSE.
Most places will only count maths or numeracy, but do check small print.
For Cardiff, even people wih 9 x A* GCSEs did not get an interview the last few years. For contextuals, it has been around 6 x A*s and 3 x As
Yes, you only need Eng Lang.
Unless you would make 8+ A*s, then resitting those that make minimum requirements (a B in most places) is unlikely to help you any, as your grades are not going to meet cut offs at med schools that use GCSES heavily in selection, I’m afraid
I want to meet the minimum requirements at least, and make up for it hopefully by volunteering / gaining experience as much as I can, and scoring high in the UCAT and/or BMAT, along with a strong personal statement
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I want to meet the minimum requirements at least, and make up for it hopefully by volunteering / gaining experience as much as I can, and scoring high in the UCAT and/or BMAT, along with a strong personal statement
If a med school uses a part of an application in shortlisting (or for minimum requirements), you cannot "make up" for a low score/missing requirements with another part of your application.
They literally go down and tick a box to say you meet the requirements/score or not. If you do, they move on to the next section, if you don't, the application goes in the rejection pile.
libero
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes, maths and numeracy counts as 2 separate GCSEs (i didnt even know people still take numeracy!)
if you want the best chance possible, apply to less GCSE-heavy schools. it could be more important this year as the CAGs are much higher.
username5584114
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
* I meant Newcastle I’m sorry it was an autocorrect
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (9)
37.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
8.33%
No I am happy with my choice (13)
54.17%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads