Is there really some truth in the league tables=better quality university?

Watch
username3962008
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all. I started university in 2019, and had two offers. One was from UEA and the other was ranked around 92nd in the league tables. I chose the one in the bottom league table because I thought that it would be the best choice for my course, but since first year I have been regretting it ever since and wish I got into a Russell Group! Thoughts or am I just being elitist?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
UEA isn't a Russell Group university anyway, and the Russell Group is ostensibly a research consortium (therefore unrelated to undergraduate teaching) and in actuality a political lobbying group.

In any case, there are a lot of variables when it comes to evaluating universities and their courses, and no league table can account for all of these. Therefore, they are often inaccurate when considering particular courses or specific things you might be looking for as an individual. They can tell you some information about the universities, and may be useful as a starting point to begin thinking about what you are trying to find out about the unis you are considering, but they aren't an objective final say in which universities are "good" and which are "bad".

In any case, it depends what you were looking for in a uni and what you are finding a poor fit/that you regret at your current uni, that might tell whether league tables would've been a more accurate indicator in what you were looking for.
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
UEA isn't RG either and honestly look at what uni offers a better career/career progression once you leave.
username3962008
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)
UEA isn't RG either and honestly look at what uni offers a better career/career progression once you leave.
Yeah I know it's not, but I just wish that I could have chosen RG unis to begin with. I'm not saying all RG unis are good, but I think they have a reputation for a reason. I'm not sure if I'm not just happy with the way things have turned out or if it is the university itself, but from 2019, one of my classes seemed like a joke as I didn't fit with the rest of my class. The teachers on my course are great though.
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rosessta3rs7)
Yeah I know it's not, but I just wish that I could have chosen RG unis to begin with. I'm not saying all RG unis are good, but I think they have a reputation for a reason. I'm not sure if I'm not just happy with the way things have turned out or if it is the university itself, but from 2019, one of my classes seemed like a joke as I didn't fit with the rest of my class. The teachers on my course are great though.
If you don't mind me asking, what course are you doing?
username3962008
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)
If you don't mind me asking, what course are you doing?
I am studying linguistics, love my course but again, not sure about the university.
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am studying linguistics, love my course but again, not sure about the university.
What do you not like about your university?
username3962008
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)
What do you not like about your university?
Just that most people seem 'cliquey' and the way they handled the pandemic wasn't great. Again, just my experience as I'm sure it's not a bad university in general, but there was a month and a half where I had no idea what I was doing, I had to switch courses too.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
League tables will be more accurate than chance. They aren't that accurate though.
username3962008
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
League tables will be more accurate than chance. They aren't that accurate though.
Okay thanks for clarifying, I don't think my university should be so low on the tables but then again, it depends on the course
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The problem with Russell Group unis is that they too are now taking on too many students, such that employers are finding it increasingly harder to distinguish between graduates from these universities. So the added value of attending one of these so called more prestigious universities is getting less and less these days (other than Oxbridge, and perhaps also LSE, Imperial and UCL).

What employers are looking for, in addition to decent grades, is useful work-related skills, work experience (interns, placements), references from key players in the industry you want to enter etc. They are also looking for people with the right interpersonal skills that will fit their work culture. All things being equal, a university graduate that ticks most, if not all, these competency boxes, will be highly desirable regardless of where they have studied. If you are up against lots of graduates with equal credentials as yourself, then where you studied might count in your favour very slightly in certain industries.
Last edited by StarLinyx; 4 weeks ago
username3962008
Rep:
?
(Original post by StarLinyx)
The problem with Russell Group unis is that they too are now taking on too many students, such that employers are finding it increasingly harder to distinguish between graduates from these universities. So the added value of attending one of these so called more prestigious universities is getting less and less these days (other than Oxbridge, and perhaps also LSE, Imperial and UCL).

What employers are looking for, in addition to decent grades, is useful work-related skills, work experience (interns, placements), references from key players in the industry you want to enter etc. They are also looking for people with the right interpersonal skills that will fit their work culture. All things being equal, a university graduate that ticks most, if not all, these competency boxes, will be highly desirable regardless of where they have studied. If you are up against lots of graduates with equal credentials as yourself, then where you studied might count in your favour very slightly in certain industries.
Isn't it good they are taking on more students, as this could equal better opportunities? I completely get what you are saying though, skills matter the most.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Isn't it good they are taking on more students, as this could equal better opportunities? I completely get what you are saying though, skills matter the most.
No, I don't see how Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester and other Russell Group unis taking on more and more students is a good thing. The UK is producing too many graduates with soft degrees, and not enough graduates with technical, work-related skills. Even Durham, who have one of the top 6 law departments in the UK, are now taking on 300 undergraduates a year for Law. Where are all these A*AA students going to work? Did Durham really need to take on this many students?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.53%
Excited but a bit nervous (116)
45.85%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.04%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.58%

Watched Threads