Girlfriend wants a baby

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My girlfriend has become interested in having a baby. She says 'why don't we have a baby' and 'baby's are so cute, we would make a great family'. We are both only 20 years old and I definitely do not want to be a dad and have to look after a baby at my age. I've been with my girlfriend for 2 years and we have a great relationship. I've tried to tell her that but she is still really interested in having a baby. I think it is because her sister has recently had baby and she now wants one too. It doesn't help that her parents are not short of money and have bought her sister a house. Her parents will also buy her a house when she is older. What should I do?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My girlfriend has become interested in having a baby. She says 'why don't we have a baby' and 'baby's are so cute, we would make a great family'. We are both only 20 years old and I definitely do not want to be a dad and have to look after a baby at my age. I've been with my girlfriend for 2 years and we have a great relationship. I've tried to tell her that but she is still really interested in having a baby. I think it is because her sister has recently had baby and she now wants one too. It doesn't help that her parents are not short of money and have bought her sister a house. Her parents will also buy her a house when she is older. What should I do?
Run away babies are expensive and you have to devote so many years of your life looking after it when it grows up, also they piss, poo and vomit all over you and keep you awake all night
Anonymous #1
Run away babies are expensive and you have to devote so many years of your life looking after it when it grows up, also they piss, poo and vomit all over you and keep you awake all night
Yeah I agree that I don't want that now but I do want to have children one day in the future. I don't want to leave my girlfriend though.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I agree that I don't want that now but I do want to have children one day in the future. I don't want to leave my girlfriend though.
Your girlfriend should respect your decision that you’re not ready yet. You don’t necessarily have to leave her, just explain you’re not ready. You can both decide when you’re ready in the future - there’s no rush
Anonymous #1
Your girlfriend should respect your decision that you’re not ready yet. You don’t necessarily have to leave her, just explain you’re not ready. You can both decide when you’re ready in the future - there’s no rush
I've tried to tell her this but I think she has fallen in love with the idea of having her own family.
howitoughttobe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a really bad reason to have a baby, your girlfriend does not sound mature enough yet to be a mother. Tell your girlfriend to offer to babysit her niece/nephew for a night or two lol. Pretty sure she'll go off the idea after that.
Ploblem1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just buy a ps5 instead
Anonymous #1
(Original post by howitoughttobe)
This is a really bad reason to have a baby, your girlfriend does not sound mature enough yet to be a mother. Tell your girlfriend to offer to babysit her niece/nephew for a night or two lol. Pretty sure she'll go off the idea after that.
Might be a good idea for her to babysit her niece if she then experiences the downsides but she might like it. She loved meeting her niece. I'm not having a baby with her at this time but I hope she can get over it.
Anonymous #1
and yes I do think she is too young.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ploblem1)
Just buy a ps5 instead
Why?
username5785455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Use your own condoms mate.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
'Babies are cute' I'm sorry but that's such an awful reason. Please explain to her that you will be responsible for someone's life and having a baby just because you want to play with a cute chubby doll is extremely selfish. Get a pet instead if she insists!
Anonymous #1
'Babies are cute' I'm sorry but that's such an awful reason. Please explain to her that you will be responsible for someone's life and having a baby just because you want to play with a cute chubby doll is extremely selfish. Get a pet instead if she insists!
I hope she asks her parents to buy her a house now and then we could maybe buy a cute puppy instead.
Ploblem1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why?
That's more suitable for your age
howitoughttobe
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Might be a good idea for her to babysit her niece if she then experiences the downsides but she might like it. She loved meeting her niece. I'm not having a baby with her at this time but I hope she can get over it.
Meeting a baby isn't the same as looking after a baby. Sure she might like it but seeing as she seems to just be focusing on the cute and fun parts of having a baby then I expect that the reality will bring her back down to earth. I saw a TV show where they took these teenagers who were desperate to have babies and gave them a baby to look after, they changed their minds pretty sharpish.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ploblem1)
That's more suitable for your age
She likes the idea of starting her own family though. Her parents have bought her sister a house and have offered to buy her one too so maybe she thinks having a baby would be suitable at her point in life?
Ploblem1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She likes the idea of starting her own family though. Her parents have bought her sister a house and have offered to buy her one too so maybe she thinks having a baby would be suitable at her point in life?
What do you want me to do about that?
Anonymous #1
Meeting a baby isn't the same as looking after a baby. Sure she might like it but seeing as she seems to just be focusing on the cute and fun parts of having a baby then I expect that the reality will bring her back down to earth. I saw a TV show where they took these teenagers who were desperate to have babies and gave them a baby to look after, they changed their minds pretty sharpish.
She is sometimes quite innocent and immature in her outlook on life which may be why she is focusing on the cute and fun parts. She is close to her parents and had a great childhood too which may be why she wants her own family.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But she's not just having a cute baby. They grow up and she's got to understand that she's having someone who will be dependent on her (and you?) until at least 18 years old. Instead of literally babysitting, you'd be better off getting her looking after a 4yo that is up at 6am to watch Milkshake on Channel 5, and wants ketchup with every meal (even salad) and has endless discussions and questions about dinosaurs (that was my nephew). Then move on to 10-14yo girls who range from constant "but why?" questions to bullying, make-up, skimpy outfits and who need constant stimulation as they can't occupy themselves for 10 minutes (me helping with Girl Guides).

Seriously, where is this coming from, on her part? It's quite selfish to expect you to take on this responsibility when you aren't ready, and a baby isn't an accessory.
howitoughttobe
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She is sometimes quite innocent and immature in her outlook on life which may be why she is focusing on the cute and fun parts. She is close to her parents and had a great childhood too which may be why she wants her own family.
And this is why I don't think she's ready yet. Don't get me wrong I don't think she's a bad person or she'll be an awful mother or anything, I just think she's looking at the good parts of being a mom and not focusing on the reality. Also you're both only 20, do you have your own house, stable careers, good income? Can you afford a baby? Have you done everything you want to do that will be difficult once you have a child. She has plenty of time to have her own family, there's no reason you need to have one at 20. Also I'm 25, quite a few people I went to school with have babies now, some of them more than one, most of them are no longer in a relationship with the other parent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
14.8%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.49%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (27)
12.11%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.52%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.83%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
26.91%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.35%

Watched Threads