Advice on where to live?

Watch
username5785455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I have just finished my final year at uni and my parents have given me £350k to spend on a property. They have said that it is the right time to give me this money as they think I am old enough to make a sensible decision, that it would be better for me to get on the housing ladder as soon as I can and so that I don't waste money on rent. I am wondering though where should I move to that would make the best use of the money? I was thinking about moving to London but the prices are so high there and I wouldn't get as much for my money. There are areas of London that are cheaper but I don't know whether it would be a good investment. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Imboredasf
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
House prices are an all time high right now.

Better to stay with your parents for a bit until you make a decision.
username5785455
Rep:
?
(Original post by Imboredasf)
House prices are an all time high right now.

Better to stay with your parents for a bit until you make a decision.
I think I will wait for a bit given how high prices are. I think my parents would like me to buy within the next year or two though and don't want me to just leave it in the bank. I'm trying to think ahead and start planning.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jameshanson01)
Hi,
I have just finished my final year at uni and my parents have given me £350k to spend on a property. They have said that it is the right time to give me this money as they think I am old enough to make a sensible decision, that it would be better for me to get on the housing ladder as soon as I can and so that I don't waste money on rent. I am wondering though where should I move to that would make the best use of the money? I was thinking about moving to London but the prices are so high there and I wouldn't get as much for my money. There are areas of London that are cheaper but I don't know whether it would be a good investment. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Where do you work.....?
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jameshanson01)
Hi,

Thanks
You are very lucky to have parents who want to eliminate one of the biggest barriers to wealth in the country.

I agree with them that you should not spend the money on rent because you would just be paying another person’s mortgage. Here is my suggestion but speak to your family to see whether it makes sense:

Split the money into 3 buckets, £175k (bucket A), £125k (bucket B) and £50k (bucket C).

Bucket A: Use this bucket for a down payment on your own property. This could be in London or the Counties around London. Best to buy a place on freehold to ensure that you don't get into the leasehold trap. I have recently seen stories of leaseholders in mortgage prisons because their leasehold is crazy esp with ground rents. I think the Government is probably looking at fixing the problem.

Bucket B: Use this bucket to pay a deposit on a rental property. Also get this property on a freehold so you can own the entire property and the land it sits on. Then rent it out to get yourself a passive income. You can add this income to your core income from your job or keep it separate for your children’s future, if you prefer.

Bucket C: This £50k should be for your emergency funds. This amount would ensure that you are not left stranded if anything negative occurs such as you losing your job or having a significant need for cash.

It is obviously up to you to spend your 350k how you want but i wouldn't advice you to put everything into one project. As they say “never put all your eggs into one basket”.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Bucket A: Use this bucket for a down payment on your own property. This could be in London or the Counties around London.

This amount would ensure that you are not left stranded if anything negative occurs such as you losing your job
What job have they got and where is it?
Last edited by Quady; 1 month ago
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Quady)
What job have they got and where is it?
I have no idea but I assumed that it would probably be in London or surrounding areas since their family has 350k to give to them for a property.
username5785455
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Where do you work.....?
Trainee solicitor in central London.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congratulations on being gifted the £350k!

It's probably best to divide the cash into at least four separate pots with the funds held by several different uk banking groups.
The FSCS deposit protection limit is only £85,000.
The £85k applies per individual and includes all savings accounts & isas with uk regulated financial institutions or banking groups.
Set aside an emergency easy access savings fund of between £30k-50k.
Plus remember you can place up to £20k a year taxfree in a cash isa.

Do you prefer a short commute to work (under 1.5 hrs daily) or are you more flexible in terms of usual weekday travelling time?
Do you prefer living alone, renting a room in a professional houseshare, living with friends or staying with family members?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (39)
14.94%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (84)
32.18%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (31)
11.88%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (22)
8.43%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.36%
I think it's an unfair expectation (68)
26.05%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.15%

Watched Threads