Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Over the past few hours...upon switching on my external hard drive..it has been making a clicking noise...and my pc is detecting it when it is switched on and off...but it doesn't seem to appear in My Computer..

It was doing a couple of clicking noises last night but I didn't take much notice of it...

Upon doing a few google searches, I am being hinted towards a potential hard drive failure...

Is there any easy way of sorting this out..? i.e. opening it up and seeing what's wrong...? Or will it be covered under the warranty..?

It's a Freecom 3.5" 500GB USB 2.0 hard drive... help/suggestions please...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Does sound like hard drive failure to me. If you open it up it voids the warantee i think.

Does it randomly turn off at all?

ReputationRep:
    Nop...it doesn't turn off...it's on until you decide to switch it off...but that clicking noise is continuous...

ReputationRep:
    The disks failed, return it to the manufacturer. You can't open up the internal disk yourself anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Cheers for the input guys! I have e-mailed Freecom with regards to the issue, will await a response from them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.