Can I become an economist with an accounting and finance undergrad degree?

Watch
username5701862
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I would probably do a masters and then a PhD in Economics to become one, however, is that possible? Do I need an economics degree to do that? I just want to understand the financial world first.
BenRyan99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Oceanwater)
I would probably do a masters and then a PhD in Economics to become one, however, is that possible? Do I need an economics degree to do that? I just want to understand the financial world first.
Typically you can't do an economics master's with a A&F undergrad degree. Most master's economics master's courses state that either you need an undergrad economics degree (at least 50% of modules are Econ) or in some cases a STEM degree will be sufficient (maths, physics, engineering and CS normally).

I would suggest you look at the entry requirements of MSc Economics courses which you might be interested and see for yourself whether you'd be able to do it with an A&F undegrad. What I don't understand is why don't you just do an undergrad in economics and finance? That way you can be an economist and have the same number of finance modules as in a A&F undergrad?
username5701862
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Typically you can't do an economics master's with a A&F undergrad degree. Most master's economics master's courses state that either you need an undergrad economics degree (at least 50% of modules are Econ) or in some cases a STEM degree will be sufficient (maths, physics, engineering and CS normally).

I would suggest you look at the entry requirements of MSc Economics courses which you might be interested and see for yourself whether you'd be able to do it with an A&F undegrad. What I don't understand is why don't you just do an undergrad in economics and finance? That way you can be an economist and have the same number of finance modules as in a A&F undergrad?
Thanks for the comment.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do an A+F degree first? Just do an economics degree or something related. Perfectly straightforward to get a job in accounting with an economics degree - and if you do a strong, quantitative one it may be career enhancing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10.13%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.96%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.06%

Watched Threads