Applying to medicine with only virtual work experience?

Watch
saulgoodman246
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, I’m applying to medicine for 2022 entry this October and I just wanted to ask would I even be considered for an interview if I applied to medical school if I only have virtual work experience? Let’s say that I get good predicted grades and a good ucat, would my virtual work experience let me down? Btw I have no volunteering too hopefully in summer I’ll be able to do work experience/volunteering but for now I’m only able to reflect on virtual work experience. Any advice? Thanks!
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’d say don’t worry because of Covid most people applying won’t have experience, so they should be understanding. You’ll probably be on the same page as everyone applying. If you manage to get something this summer that would be great but try not to worry too much. Just be well prepared for the interview and revise Xxx
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by saulgoodman246)
Hi all, I’m applying to medicine for 2022 entry this October and I just wanted to ask would I even be considered for an interview if I applied to medical school if I only have virtual work experience? Let’s say that I get good predicted grades and a good ucat, would my virtual work experience let me down? Btw I have no volunteering too hopefully in summer I’ll be able to do work experience/volunteering but for now I’m only able to reflect on virtual work experience. Any advice? Thanks!
Yes you will be fine - med schools know what has happened this year. It is not about what you've done per se but what you've learnt from it!
Most schools also will not score your PS, so this wouldn't come up until your interview anyway.

That said, I would seriously try and start some volunteering now or something that can evidence skills like teamwork or leadership, including things like a part-time job. It will help at interview.

There's also a whole thread on work experience for medicine here where you can get an idea of what others are doing: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6929328
Last edited by becausethenight; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.27%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.34%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.07%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.18%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (34)
10.15%
Financial worries (24)
7.16%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.48%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.15%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.46%

Watched Threads