Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is it true that universities are cracking down on fancy dress parties and socials?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ive not seen any crackdown on fancy dress, only if it’s offensive in some manor.

I would say things like initiations and really grim sports club traditions are a thing of the past, with snapchat, instagram & university confessions pages they’ve died out.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if you want to dress up as Snow White that would not be a problem ( at the time of writing ), but it is a slippery slope...
Stumpy1001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is it true that universities are cracking down on fancy dress parties and socials?
unofficial clamp down because of all the fools who will accuse you of cultural appropriation if you came as pocahontas etc
Last edited by Stumpy1001; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
What is the punishment they can hand out? I mean the university and students union?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
Ive not seen any crackdown on fancy dress, only if it’s offensive in some manor.

I would say things like initiations and really grim sports club traditions are a thing of the past, with snapchat, instagram & university confessions pages they’ve died out.
It's a strange concept if it's offensive. Who judges what is offensive or not? is there a legal objective standard, I'm having a hard time grasping this idea.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What is the punishment they can hand out? I mean the university and students union?
Depends what you do.

They would probably issue warnings initially, then hit the student group associated i.e. fine them or stop giving them resources (often sports teams (most obvious offenders) rely on SU money & facilities), if it continues they could close the club. If it’s deemed serious enough they could go after students specifically i.e. kick them out.

But tbh ive never heard of this for fancy dress. Realistically nothing is likely to happen as long as you haven’t dressed up as something purposefully inflammatory.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Let's be honest, fancy dress is crap anyway.
Anonymous #1
Dressing up could be naff but it could be fun also. By looking at some uni's they seem very militant and anti-fun. I was thinking of going to Birmingham University and that is what made me ask.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It probably depends on the degree of offensiveness and how the event was describe for instance if it was say Disney as long as you don't do some thing like black up you'd probably be ok turning up a Mulan or something but if you turned spa s Goofy in his Nazi clothes then that would probably insure something more than a warning I'd say.
1/ A warning ing someone takes offence on cultural appropriation grounds
2/ A fine if it's as second offence or purposely inflammatory.
3/ The club could face sanctions for instance a fine or they could have their funding pulled or they could even be closed down.
4/ You could be kicked out of the club and not allowed to rejoin.
5/ You could get kicked out.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi!

I've not heard anything about this.
At Portsmouth, we go all out when we dress for socials and its a lot of fun

Universities might be cracking down on socials that are offensive as there might be some themes that are inappropriate. However, like I say we've not had this problem at Portsmouth.

Chloe - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (113)
45.2%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.2%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.8%

Watched Threads