Is it worth trying to find a summer job now that it’s mid-June and I have uni in Sep

Watch
fran.cis02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Parents have been pushing for me to find a summer job so I at least have some job experience other than lunch duty monitor going into uni, as well as some extra money. Applied to 4 jobs on Friday (1 temp 3 perm), only ones I could find, and I’ve only heard back from the temp so far (no surprise there). Thing is, is it even worth applying for jobs now that it’s mid-June?

If I do end up getting a job, I’d probably be starting around mid-July at this rate, and I’m not sure about temporary jobs but I doubt it’d look good for both my CV and the person employing me if I quit a permanent job less than 2 months after starting.

Also, I’ve heard there aren’t as many repercussions if you quit early from a job in retail/catering/etc since they don’t spend as much training you, and that with other jobs they’ll make you pay if you quit early to make up for training? — I’ve applied for delivery coordinator (temp), retail assistant, warehouse worker, kitchen porter (all perm) .. not entirely sure which ones I’d have to worry about charging me for quitting early

Yeah, I’m just a little stuck. Should I keep on looking? If I do get an offer should I take a job? Or is it not worth it?

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance
Last edited by fran.cis02; 4 weeks ago
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fran.cis02)
Parents have been pushing for me to find a summer job so I at least have some job experience other than lunch duty monitor going into uni, as well as some extra money. Applied to 4 jobs on Friday (1 temp 3 perm), only ones I could find, and I’ve only heard back from the temp so far (no surprise there). Thing is, is it even worth applying for jobs now that it’s mid-June?

If I do end up getting a job, I’d probably be starting around mid-July at this rate, and I’m not sure about temporary jobs but I doubt it’d look good for both my CV and the person employing me if I quit a permanent job less than 2 months after starting.

Also, I’ve heard there aren’t as many repercussions if you quit early from a job in retail/catering/etc since they don’t spend as much training you, and that with other jobs they’ll make you pay if you quit early to make up for training? — I’ve applied for delivery coordinator (temp), retail assistant, warehouse worker, kitchen porter (all perm) .. not entirely sure which ones I’d have to worry about charging me for quitting early

Yeah, I’m just a little stuck. Should I keep on looking? If I do get an offer should I take a job? Or is it not worth it?

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance
You can still apply for stuff.
How about trying agencies. You aren't guaranteed anything full time but at least you will get work (and the experience etc that goes with it). And it will be temporary anyway.
If there are any touristy places near you. They may want staff over the summer as people go on holidays etc.
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Almost no job that a student could get with no experience will charge you for quitting early. That only happens for managerial positions and jobs that are hard to replace, or if you’re on some sort of traineeship. Just apply everywhere you can and focus your efforts on the jobs just posted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed