gymjam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know how you would go about this question please?https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...4&d=1492530716
gymjam
Rep:
?
I need to know the weight W of the ladder
jasminelr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Since it is stationary the forces in any given direction have to add up to zero (Newton’s first law). If you resolve the forces vertically, the 100N force upwards from the floor must add to the weight force to equal zero.

100N + W = 0
So W = -100N (or 100N if you just want the magnitude)
Last edited by jasminelr; 1 month ago
gymjam
Rep:
?
(Original post by jasminelr)
Since it is stationary the forces in any given direction have to add up to zero (Newton’s first law). If you resolve the forces vertically, the 100N force upwards from the floor must add to the weight force to equal zero.

100N + W = 0
So W = -100N (or 100N if you just want the magnitude)
Thank you, is the 30N useless then? I thought if the ruler was exerting a force on the wall, the force acting on the floor would be less than the weight? Why isn’t this the case?
jasminelr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gymjam)
Thank you, is the 30N useless then? I thought if the ruler was exerting a force on the wall, the force acting on the floor would be less than the weight? Why isn’t this the case?
The force on the wall and the friction force that you drew on in the first part of the question balance each other out (they are both 30 but in opposite directions). If you were to increase the weight of the ladder, the force the ladder exerted on the wall would increase, but so would the friction force from the ground (assuming the ladder didn’t move) meaning these two would still cancel out and the two vertical forces would still be equal to one another.
Last edited by jasminelr; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads