Emma.11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really want to go to Cambridge, to do english, but I am scared that as I only took 3 alevels I will be at a disadvantage. I know they only say you need 3 alevels, but would I have been more likely to get in if I had taken another a level?
bluemoon03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You won't be disadvantaged at all - they say you only need 3 a levels for a reason, and they'd much prefer you do well in 3 subjects than mediocre in 4. Standard offer is A*AA so as long as you're on track to achieve that, are prepared to put work in for the other aspects of the application e.g. wider reading and ELAT and most importantly are enthusiastic about the subject, you'll be in with a good chance
Emma.11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by bluemoon03)
You won't be disadvantaged at all - they say you only need 3 a levels for a reason, and they'd much prefer you do well in 3 subjects than mediocre in 4. Standard offer is A*AA so as long as you're on track to achieve that, are prepared to put work in for the other aspects of the application e.g. wider reading and ELAT and most importantly are enthusiastic about the subject, you'll be in with a good chance
Thank you. DO you think an EPQ would help my application? I watched a QandA session from Cambridge and they said an EPQ is not seen any higher than other extra curricular things (wider reading etc) so is it still important?
bluemoon03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emma.11)
Thank you. DO you think an EPQ would help my application? I watched a QandA session from Cambridge and they said an EPQ is not seen any higher than other extra curricular things (wider reading etc) so is it still important?
I did an EPQ in Year 12 and think it really helped my application (I applied for French and Spanish and got an offer) - not in material terms ie getting a lower offer (though I did for some other unis thanks to EPQ), but in giving my wider reading a direction/purpose, and developing my knowledge of quite a niche area, which I could then talk about at interview. An EPQ is a lot of work though, so if you're just finishing Year 12, you may struggle to balance 3 a-levels, a Cambridge application and an EPQ in Year 13, and depending on how much you get done before applying you might not have as much to say about it in your personal statement and interview. It's a personal decision based on what you think's best for you - not having an EPQ definitely won't disadvantage you (not every school offers it and they know that) but being succesful in one and really enjoying it can be a big help for your application. Hope that makes sense/is useful
koi koy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Emma.11)
Just my two cents, I was studying four A-levels and dropped one (further maths so not particularly relevant for English) after receiving my offer. An EPQ is a great way to structure your reading and thinking to help produce a strong personal statement - this can be done without however! I had a series of books I read around myth from various periods and wrote about that. Just having thought about books and intertextual connection is all they want to see
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (40)
14.76%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (88)
32.47%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (33)
12.18%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (23)
8.49%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.17%
I think it's an unfair expectation (70)
25.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.11%

Watched Threads