Usernamesaredum
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The university says that people will have above min requirements, but how are you supposed to have above AAA when they don’t consider A* higher (which is just stupid BECAUSE IT IS HIGHER) and don’t look at a fourth A-level? The most i can think of is 9 9’s in GCSE and 2 distinctions in BTEC (Also i don’t want to do 4 A2’s)
Last edited by Usernamesaredum; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Usernamesaredum)
The university says that people will have above min requirements, but how are you supposed to have above AAA when they don’t consider A* higher (which is just stupid BECAUSE IT IS HIGHER) and don’t look at a fourth A-level? The most i can think of is 9 9’s in GCSE and 2 distinctions in BTEC
A bit of context? Which Uni, which course, where have they said 'above min requirements', how do you know they wont consider A* etc. Some weblinks please.
Hammad(214508)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A* is higher and every Uni does accept this. To make it fair Uni's only look at 3 A-levels 4th is a plus but won't help as much
Usernamesaredum
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
A bit of context? Which Uni, which course, where have they said 'above min requirements', how do you know they wont consider A* etc. Some weblinks please.
For leeds uni medicine course, https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/202223/5...-surgery-mbchb
Usernamesaredum
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/202223/5...-surgery-mbchb
ry7xsfa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Usernamesaredum)
The university says that people will have above min requirements, but how are you supposed to have above AAA when they don’t consider A* higher (which is just stupid BECAUSE IT IS HIGHER) and don’t look at a fourth A-level? The most i can think of is 9 9’s in GCSE and 2 distinctions in BTEC
I'm pretty sure the "above minimum requirements" part is mainly referring to GCSEs.

When they say that they don't consider A* higher than an A, they mean that getting an A* will not offset a lower grade in another subject (i.e. A*AB will not be accepted in the place of AAA, despite technically having one grade higher and another lower, which some people think balances it out).

Not considering a fourth A-Level is standard practice. In almost all cases, universities make offers based on 3 A-Level grades, though if you're taking 4, a lower predicted grade in the 4th subject can put you at a disadvantage in the application and admissions process.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bristol also does not give extra credit for higher A level predictions than the minimum required - this is so that inflated predictions do not gain any advantage, ie. schools deliberately over predicting to get their students a higher application 'score'.

'Qualifications' does not just mean A levels - they are saying that those with high GCSE grades statistically do better, its warning that if you apply with minimum GCSEs your application will not be as competitive as those with higher grades.

Universities don't consider '4th A levels' - they will only ever look at the best/most relevant 3.
This is why its a bit pointless taking 4 - and because AAA will always look better than ABBB.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads