The Student Room Group

How to make a girl see you as the prize?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OctoberRain7
I said it sounded creepy from how you put it, and I'm not necessarily wrong. Again, it's about your specific case, I didn't say that all or the vast majority of anyone are anything.

I mean, you did and you still are, but whatever floats your boat.
Original post by Anonymous
So one of my friends got a new girlfriend and I know some of her friends and they are literally so happy for her saying she’s done really well for herself getting with this guy.

A bit about this girl, she’s a part time model so she is very good looking and does have a bit of internet clout so she’s not short of options.

To be honest I don’t really see this much especially with a girl like this, see the guy as the prize and chasing him, it’s normally the other way around. How do I make girls look at me like i’m something they?

pick me boy alert
Even if this woman fits your weird model of what all women are like, she would be an exception.

Highly, highly unlikely, as she's pretty standard as far as personality goes (for a female), at least, in most respects. Also, applying Occam's razor, it would be pretty unreasonable to suggest she was some sort of extraordinary exception, merely because she isn't aligned with your (self-referential) perspective of women. It would be far easier to assume she's quite normal for the purpose of this discussion...
It really does, and as I said, I'm not fussed whether you accept it or not. Of course you'd deny it, you're a woman. As for the second part, it should be pretty obvious: marriage is much more of a commitment than a relationship (at least, it is where I come from) and anyone who opts to get married to another person must be reasonably confident of their strengths as a romantic partner. Hence, seeing you as the prize probably becomes the case somewhere down the line of a steady relationship, even if it wasn't when you got married.

I deny it because I don't behave like that and nobody I know behaves like that. I have no idea why you think women work like that or how you're meant to be some expert on women.
That's not things changing once you get married, that's marriage as a way of indicating that things have changed. And I'm confused as to why people wouldn't see each other as a prize earlier on - if I didn't see my partner that way, I wouldn't have asked him out.
I deny it because I don't behave like that and nobody I know behaves like that. I have no idea why you think women work like that or how you're meant to be some expert on women.
That's not things changing once you get married, that's marriage as a way of indicating that things have changed. And I'm confused as to why people wouldn't see each other as a prize earlier on - if I didn't see my partner that way, I wouldn't have asked him out.

Obviously, whoever agrees to marry you already saw you as the prize while you were dating (and probably before that too). I was specifically referring to any woman the OP is seeing to date, that on the balance of probabilities, it wouldn't happen as women don't tend to see other (ordinary) men as the prize, while men are much more open-minded in seeking relationships. I never claimed to be an expert on women... I'm just utilising a bit of common sense and inductive reasoning.
Highly, highly unlikely, as she's pretty standard as far as personality goes (for a female), at least, in most respects. Also, applying Occam's razor, it would be pretty unreasonable to suggest she was some sort of extraordinary exception, merely because she isn't aligned with your (self-referential) perspective of women. It would be far easier to assume she's quite normal for the purpose of this discussion...

You...can't just take one woman and say it's better to say she's entirely average and representative of all women than otherwise. Even if my stance was entirely self-referential (which it isn't, I have literally met nobody like that), it would still be based on at least as much evidence as yours, considering that I am also one woman - and I actually know my own motivations, you can only guess as to hers. Sure, that woman could have been manipulating you for unknown reasons, but even then why would you expect all or the vast majority of women to be the same? I don't expect all men to be unable to understand how inference works just because you can't.
Obviously, whoever agrees to marry you already saw you as the prize while you were dating (and probably before that too). I was specifically referring to any woman the OP is seeing to date, that on the balance of probabilities, it wouldn't happen as women don't tend to see other (ordinary) men as the prize, while men are much more open-minded in seeking relationships. I never claimed to be an expert on women... I'm just utilising a bit of common sense and inductive reasoning.

As a philosopher, your definitions of "common sense" and "inductive reasoning" could do with a bit of work (just saying). I don't think you can generalise over who sees whom as a "prize" - many people will ask out people who they see as "kinda attractive", and many people won't ask out someone they see as a "prize" due to shyness, insecurity, gender stereotypes or other reasons.

Note that I ignored the rest of this as the whole thing is an argument from incredulity and not worth my time.
Note that I ignored the rest of this as the whole thing is an argument from incredulity and not worth my time.

"I can't defend my poorly formed point so I'm going to say a logical fallacy has been committed and call it a day"
As a philosopher, your definitions of "common sense" and "inductive reasoning" could do with a bit of work (just saying). I don't think you can generalise over who sees whom as a "prize" - many people will ask out people who they see as "kinda attractive", and many people won't ask out someone they see as a "prize" due to shyness, insecurity, gender stereotypes or other reasons.

I'm not sure what you mean by this now. Are you saying you're a philosopher (which registers as incredibly pretentious) or are you calling me a philosopher, which is just a little wack? I'm no philosopher, just someone who reads a decent amount and has a definitive perspective on the OP's question. I don't think arguing about the definition of terms has anything to do with the discussion, although I'm pretty sure I know, reasonably, what I'm talking about. As for the rest, you're just shifting the goalposts now as that wasn't a valid rebuttal to any of what I just said.
"I can't defend my poorly formed point so I'm going to say a logical fallacy has been committed and call it a day"

My point is plenty formed, which you would know if you were paying any attention, rather than sending keys flying with poorly thought out and fallacious arguments. Yes, "don't write something if it doesn't make any sense" is a perfectly valid observation to make. And your ad hominems are getting tedious now -- I thought I was pretty civil throughout although you clearly don't care for such niceties on your side.
I'm not sure what you mean by this now. Are you saying you're a philosopher (which registers as incredibly pretentious) or are you calling me a philosopher, which is just a little wack? I'm no philosopher, just someone who reads a decent amount and has a definitive perspective on the OP's question. I don't think arguing about the definition of terms has anything to do with the discussion, although I'm pretty sure I know, reasonably, what I'm talking about. As for the rest, you're just shifting the goalposts now as that wasn't a valid rebuttal to any of what I just said.

Sorry if you read "philosopher" as some kind of pretentious claim instead of my intended meaning of "someone who studies a philosophy degree". Meaning, I know how logic works and that generalising from one case is not it, especiallyinthe face of many counterexamples. Saying that more men see woman as a prize wasn't related to what I said either, I was just pointing out how, again, you've stated something as fact that you can't prove.
My point is plenty formed, which you would know if you were paying any attention, rather than sending keys flying with poorly thought out and fallacious arguments. Yes, "don't write something if it doesn't make any sense" is a perfectly valid observation to make. And your ad hominems are getting tedious now -- I thought I was pretty civil throughout although you clearly don't care for such niceties on your side.

Again, you aud that my entire gender either manipulate or doesn't generally care for their partners, and I don't care for niceties to someone who says that to people. Please, state your point in a way that logically holds up because I can't see it - you're not making as much sense as you think you are.
Reply 53
The question is basically asking how to be attractive. Have a good career, be confident, charming, well dressed, popular, a good conversationalist, fit and a hundred other things. Each one would require a guide in and of itself. If you're doing better than 90% of other guys then you are the prize.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kovalensky
:biggrin: very inspiring and optimistic if I may say so

Lol, or it's just wishful thinking on my part.:lol:
Sorry if you read "philosopher" as some kind of pretentious claim instead of my intended meaning of "someone who studies a philosophy degree". Meaning, I know how logic works and that generalising from one case is not it, especiallyinthe face of many counterexamples. Saying that more men see woman as a prize wasn't related to what I said either, I was just pointing out how, again, you've stated something as fact that you can't prove.

But it isn't a statement of fact, it's a proposition which only exists for the purpose of this thread, and as I already said, it doesn't apply to all cases -- just the majority (?). And, even assuming you're telling the truth (which I certainly don't have to), if you're indeed a philosopher you should know that you can't give a courtier's reply to a perfectly valid statement. Stating you're a philosopher to acquire a coign of vantage is completely unnecessary and comes off as quite desperate. Also, going through some of your recent posts (like ~30 min ago), you seem to have a proclivity for making unfounded or poorly-founded (and quite needless) attacks on other people as a form of self-affirmation. You have an incredibly militaristic perspective of what a thread on here is meant to be. You should know that this isn't the Crusades and no-one is fighting any war, so drop the weapons.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Watch season 4 of 90 day fiance.

It shows a prime example of what happens when you have a guy that is a rich owner of a successful company, that has just bought a new or nearly new Audi RS8, and has spent $70,000 on his "girlfriend" before she's moved to live with him.

His wannabe model fiancee does not see him as a prize. She sees him as a schmuck!

OK this is only 1 anecdote. But it's a highly representative anecdote.

In this TV series you have a guy that is rich in money. But he doesn't have a clue how to interact with women. And he has no idea how to handle the woman that he invites over from Moscow.

Having the ability to make and handle money is an attractive trait. But it's only 1 quite small part of the jig-saw puzzle. A puzzle where you can have a few missing pieces and still be prized by women.

She probably does, the thing is money will only take a guy so far. I've not seen that one but I've seen the other one you mention, George & Anfisa I believe. In that one George is fairly wealthy at least to start with but Anfisa believes she is entitled to expensive gifts from him on a regular basis as she is pretty looking (some may vary on opinion on that but I think it's fair to say she's some way in that direction for many guys even if she is not all that). George hasn't really got that spending power he tries as far as he can but he's business ultimately suffers for that possibly along with other reasons also. Main thing is although they are around the same sort of age George is fat and no better than everyday looks. He probably didn't handle the woman well in addition to that as the more she got her way actually the less respect I think she had for him. He probably doesn't have a lot of dating experience so an easy mistake to make. Thing is being an overweight guy probably didn't help his chances. If he went to the gym that may have helped. Overall I think the hypergamy difference between them was too much.

What I'm saying is being a rich guy will help a lot but you've also got to be realistic. If you're not a pretty boy in addition then a real hot model or super model girl may see you as prey to take advantage off then move on. George giving into her just played into her confidence that she could take advantage.

My guess is that the guy OP mentions probably has more going for him than just wealth, possibly good looks. Even if not if he is an ok looking dude with no real negatives and is known to be from a well off background he will likely be seen as an enviable catch to many women and their friends.
I see, so you're generalising all women due to your experience with a singular woman. As with many conclusions formed from such shaky evidence, you're wrong. (It's not clear that your conclusion even follows in this particular case anyway - you sound like you were exhibiting dodgy/creepy behaviour, and it's pretty likely she wasn't flirting with you.) And really, you can't expect people not to be rude to you when you're rude to an entire gender.

See, this is the problem. You can't handle what was just an isolated statement. Instead you see fit to go ahead with ad hominems because the possible truth of it riles you so badly. I think you should get a grip in this case (no offense intended). It's not an affront, it's an a posteriori proposition and you should never have regarded it as an affront in the first instance.
Even if my stance was entirely self-referential (which it isn't, I have literally met nobody like that)

I don't think you understand my meaning. Your perspective of women is, forsooth, always self-referential as you are one yourself. Perhaps you haven't covered self-reference in your philosophy course yet; in that case, I recommend reading Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter, I enjoyed what I understood from it.
I don't think you understand my meaning. Your perspective of women is, forsooth, always self-referential as you are one yourself. Perhaps you haven't covered self-reference in your philosophy course yet; in that case, I recommend reading Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter, I enjoyed what I understood from it.

I hope you don't mind my redacting your further ad hominems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending