Should I do UCAT or BMAT even tho I'm considering a gap year

Watch
Irresponsible
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As the title says I did pretty bad in my PPE my predictions are likely A*CC/A*BC (highly doubt I'm getting that B but to be hopeful I guess). Most of the departments in my skl are having re-sits in December but the whole sciences department isn't but I feel like my teacher may have been hinting that he'd change his mind and maybe do a re-sit then. But then again that's unlikely. So.im thinking of taking a Gap year, but I don't know if I should still do UCAT & BMAT eventho ik no Unis will give me offers for.medicine with these grades. So.currently in a dilemma.
Wally2018
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Irresponsible)
As the title says I did pretty bad in my PPE my predictions are likely A*CC/A*BC (highly doubt I'm getting that B but to be hopeful I guess). Most of the departments in my skl are having re-sits in December but the whole sciences department isn't but I feel like my teacher may have been hinting that he'd change his mind and maybe do a re-sit then. But then again that's unlikely. So.im thinking of taking a Gap year, but I don't know if I should still do UCAT & BMAT eventho ik no Unis will give me offers for.medicine with these grades. So.currently in a dilemma.
BMAT is only needed for university of Leeds if your only applying in the UK every other Uni will require the UCAT
Irresponsible
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wally2018)
BMAT is only needed for university of Leeds if your only applying in the UK every other Uni will require the UCAT
But I'm pretty sure I heard imperial and UCL take BMAT. Or do you have to do BMAT + UCAT. Also do u think I should do it this year cuz I plan on taking the gap year next year when I'm doing my A-Levels.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wally2018)
This is only applicable to dentistry. OP wants to do medicine.
But I'm pretty sure I heard imperial and UCL take BMAT. Or do you have to do BMAT + UCAT. Also do u think I should do it this year cuz I plan on taking the gap year next year when I'm doing my A-Levels.
I think the user who responded to you was confusing dentistry admissions with medicine. See my message above.
Irresponsible
Rep:
?
As the title says I did pretty bad in my PPE my predictions are likely A*CC/A*BC (highly doubt I'm getting that B but to be hopeful I guess). Most of the departments in my skl are having re-sits in December but the whole sciences department isn't but I feel like my teacher may have been hinting that he'd change his mind and maybe do a re-sit then. But then again that's unlikely.*So.im*thinking of taking a Gap year, but I don't know if I should still do UCAT & BMAT eventho ik no Unis will give me offers for.medicine with these grades. So.currently in a dilemma.

Repost cuz no one was really answering my question in the first post
Anonymous778
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could check out some foundation year medicine courses with lower entry requirements, unis such as Nottingham offer this. You could also consider applying to unis that do not consider predicted grades whatsoever. Please do some research before making a choice! If you find courses suitable for yourself, be sure to sit the entrance exams
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous778)
You could check out some foundation year medicine courses with lower entry requirements, unis such as Nottingham offer this. You could also consider applying to unis that do not consider predicted grades whatsoever. Please do some research before making a choice! If you find courses suitable for yourself, be sure to sit the entrance exams
Foundation year courses are for those with Widening Particiaption flags, not general entry and you cannot apply just because you do not have the grades for standard entry.

As the title says I did pretty bad in my PPE my predictions are likely A*CC/A*BC (highly doubt I'm getting that B but to be hopeful I guess). Most of the departments in my skl are having re-sits in December but the whole sciences department isn't but I feel like my teacher may have been hinting that he'd change his mind and maybe do a re-sit then. But then again that's unlikely.*So.im*thinking of taking a Gap year, but I don't know if I should still do UCAT & BMAT eventho ik no Unis will give me offers for.medicine with these grades. So.currently in a dilemma.

Repost cuz no one was really answering my question in the first post
It is against TSR rules to double post, and you have only given people 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon before doing so.

If you have the funds, you can sit the exams as part of a practice run, as most people do better on a second time of sitting (at least for UCAT). If you believe you can get at least AAA, you can apply this year to the few places that do not look at predicted A levels, but December resits would be too late to change predicted grades for the Oct deadline.
Irresponsible
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Foundation year courses are for those with Widening Particiaption flags, not general entry and you cannot apply just because you do not have the grades for standard entry.

It is against TSR rules to double post, and you have only given people 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon before doing so.

If you have the funds, you can sit the exams as part of a practice run, as most people do better on a second time of sitting (at least for UCAT). If you believe you can get at least AAA, you can apply this year to the few places that do not look at predicted A levels, but December resits would be too late to change predicted grades for the Oct deadline.
Oh sorry I didn't know. And yeah I might do it as a practice run.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have merged both your threads, as there is no need to have 2!

GANFYD is spot on as usual. It may also be worth sitting UCAT so if/when you do get AAA, you can look at medicine courses in clearing on results day,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (60)
54.55%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.36%

Watched Threads