Should I do an access to higher education course if I already have a degree?

Watch
sal.gg
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm graduating from uni this summer with a degree in Psychology however, I'm worried that I've not done that well and won't get the grades I was hoping for. I've decided that I want to apply to uni for Nursing next year but I'm worried about not getting in if I do end up with lower grades than I hoped. I also did terribly with my A Levels (D,E,U).

I was planning on working at a care home as a care assistant for the year and apply to uni using that as experience but I've just found out about Access to Higher Education courses and was wondering if it would be better/worth it for me to do that instead.
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Access courses are level 3 just like by your A levels. Soon, you'll have a degree - at level 6!
I'd done an unrelated degree before nursing. I had to put my A levels on my nursing application (at CCD) but my degree outweighed them otherwise I'd never have got in somewhere asking for minimum BCC.
Ask the universities you're looking at doing nursing at. They may rather you go in with your current A levels, degree, and working for a year.
MissB89
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would check with the uni you are at. I did a degree in British sign language and Deaf Studies (graduated 2019) and worked as a health care assistant ever since. I got accepted to start my Adult Nursing degree for this September. They just said I had to have my GCSE in maths and English at grade C or above or functional skills.

Good luck.
Imthebest9888
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sal.gg)
I'm graduating from uni this summer with a degree in Psychology however, I'm worried that I've not done that well and won't get the grades I was hoping for. I've decided that I want to apply to uni for Nursing next year but I'm worried about not getting in if I do end up with lower grades than I hoped. I also did terribly with my A Levels (D,E,U).

I was planning on working at a care home as a care assistant for the year and apply to uni using that as experience but I've just found out about Access to Higher Education courses and was wondering if it would be better/worth it for me to do that instead.
You can do nursing masters as you already have a degree, instead of doing undergrad nursing
Starsong
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Imthebest9888)
You can do nursing masters as you already have a degree, instead of doing undergrad nursing
They'll likely ask for several hundred hours clinical/care experience in order to do a Masters instead. I also have a first degree and my. university offered me a place on the Masters if I could evidence 300 hours care experience (which I couldn't), so instead I got offered a place for undergraduate.

OP - I'd definitely speak with the unis you're interested in. I was considering doing an access course because my first degree was very unrelated and I graduated from that in 2016 but it would have been expensive and it turns out none of the places I applied wanted me to do it. Admissions requirements vary a lot, but having a degree already does give you a bit of leeway because it shows you can work at that level already, even if your grades aren't the highest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed