What to do when feeling uncertain about my career pathway and university degree?

Watch
sleepycloud
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I ended up having a gap-year due to the pandemic which has given me time to think more about what I want to do at university and with my life. I thought giving myself this time would help yet I'm starting to feel more unsure than ever about what it is I want to do. I initially set out to do a degree in English Literature before the pandemic hit and then during my year out I stuck with my deferred university choice but changed my subject to Philosophy, Ethics and Religion. I do think I will likely enjoy this subject but I've been so confused lately about what it is I truly feel passionate about and now September is getting closer I'm started to worry more and more about starting my degree. I have been considering changing direction entirely and doing something more specific like Occupational Therapy as it sounds so interesting (plus much more rewarding than a typical 9-5 job!) but I'm also too nervous to jump into something like this. I feel like I would be limiting my options down too much as I'm quite indecisive so doing a different degree first might give me more time to discover what I want to do. I absolutely love the university and place that I've picked but unfortunately they don't have an OT course so I'd have to go to a different university if I did decide I wanted to do this. I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation or just has any advice on what to do? I know a lot of people also experience feeling a bit lost and confused with what direction they'd like to go in but I'm just so worried I will end up not enjoying whatever I choose.
Last edited by sleepycloud; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What have you been doing during your gap year? Have you enjoyed anything in particular?
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Consider which of these can land you a job quickly as well as the affordability of the major.
sleepycloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
What have you been doing during your gap year? Have you enjoyed anything in particular?
I've really enjoyed my year out a lot and I've loved picking up some new hobbies and trying new things but I must say I haven't really done anything that particularly relates back to any of my degrees or career choices. It's been quite a strange time to get any experience in the areas I'm interested in and I've only been seriously thinking about all of this recently.
Last edited by sleepycloud; 1 month ago
sleepycloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlaveofAll)
Consider which of these can land you a job quickly as well as the affordability of the major.
Thanks for your advice, I do think getting a job quickly is a huge benefit but I wouldn't personally pick a career/degree purely for this reason as I really just want to find something I enjoy and have a passion for. I think all of my options would lead me somewhere in time though and all of them cost the same amount so that shouldn't be a huge issue when deciding thankfully!
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sleepycloud)
Thanks for your advice, I do think getting a job quickly is a huge benefit but I wouldn't personally pick a career/degree purely for this reason as I really just want to find something I enjoy and have a passion for. I think all of my options would lead me somewhere in time though and all of them cost the same amount so that shouldn't be a huge issue when deciding thankfully!
That should one of the reasons, not just the lone reason.
sleepycloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlaveofAll)
That should one of the reasons, not just the lone reason.
Yes of course! It's definitely something I will think about and look into more so thanks for the advice.
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sleepycloud)
Yes of course! It's definitely something I will think about and look into more so thanks for the advice.
I'm always glad to help, as long as it makes the world look better even by a bit.
Nairb98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I believe occupational therapy falls under an allied healthcare course, so, as of right now, if you were to attend university to study Philosophy, Ethics and Religion, or English Literature and earned a degree, you would also be allowed to attend university again if you were to study an allied healthcare course (occupational therapy) fully funded. If you are really unsure what to do, and you don't mind possibly spending 6 years at university, you could study BOTH a non-allied healthcare course (English lit, etc.) and an allied healthcare course (Occupational therapy). Bare in mind you won't just get a straight pass into OT just because you already went to university, you still need to meet entry requirements for it and will most likely need to get work experience etc. to get into occupational therapy. However, this opportunity may not always be here. By the time you graduate with English lit, etc. they may stop doing this. So bare that in mind.

I already completed 3 years on a sports course and have applied to study Physiotherapy for September 2021, but even though my degree is somewhat relevant, it's still incredibly difficult to get into. The biggest thing holding me back is lack of experience (specifically with working in NHS).

The flexibility is great, but I've essentially wasted 3/4 years and I am to spend another 3. If I was to go back in time I would study the relevant GCSEs and A-Levels, and attend physiotherapy right away.
Last edited by Nairb98; 1 month ago
U.S.A
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it's in your optimal interest, that you enlist the help of **professionals**.
CardiganOfAngst
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are considering Occupational therapy, I would recommend seeing if you could volunteer in the care sector. This would give you an insight into a good selection of service users who would require this service, and the other health professionals you would be communicating with in the role.
It may also better help you decide if it’s right for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (32)
5.55%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.61%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.44%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.72%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.2%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.57%
Financial worries (37)
6.41%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
3.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.89%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.6%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed