Internal degree programme transfer

Watch
hollyclares
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've just finished my first year of Biomedical Sciences and I’ve been thinking lately and I’m questioning whether I want to continue with it.

Biomed is ok, but it’s not something that I’m naturally gifted at, so it’s taken quite a toll on me this year. Also, I’m finding more often than not, I don’t enjoy the content. I’m not sure how wise it is to carry on when I have a stronger interest in another degree programme.

I’ve been regretting not looking at the Dietetics programme before I applied to uni. I did food and nutrition at school, and it was one of my best subjects, I also have an interest in it outside of academics. So, I’m wrestling with the idea of transferring.

I’m thinking, with biomed now I’ve got 2 years left and then I’d either convert or if I decided to stick with it, I’d probably have to do something postgraduate with it to even have a chance of getting a decent job.

MDiet is 4 years (only 1 year more than I’d be here anyway), and after looking at the programme I think it would be worth it, the integrated work placements and full accreditation are really appealing to me. I also like the fact there are some elements of biomed but it’s not full on biomed.

Dietetics and Biomedical Sciences are in the same school/faculty here at Newcastle - so chances are I'd probably be able to transfer since there's elements of crossover (1 module in first year).

I’m still unsure and doubting what is the best route though, anyone else been in a similar situation.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd suggest speaking with someone at your uni (a personal tutor is probably a good first port of call) to discuss your options in this case. Since the dietetics course is a health professions course, there are fitness to practice requirements by the look of it and they normally require an interview. So it may not be possible to transfer internally and you may need to apply formally via UCAS. Your uni should be able to confirm if this is the case though.

Note that it's very likely, as dietetics is an allied health profession and will have strict requirements for the course to remain accredited, that if you do transfer you will have to start again in first year. This may affect your entitlement to student finance funding in future (as you will essentially end up using your "gift year" on the first year of your current programme - so you wouldn't be able to repeat a year or change course again without needing to self fund that year), so do be aware of that. If you have to apply again through UCAS then you will probably need to apply for first year entry in the same vein.
hollyclares
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'd suggest speaking with someone at your uni (a personal tutor is probably a good first port of call) to discuss your options in this case. Since the dietetics course is a health professions course, there are fitness to practice requirements by the look of it and they normally require an interview. So it may not be possible to transfer internally and you may need to apply formally via UCAS. Your uni should be able to confirm if this is the case though.

Note that it's very likely, as dietetics is an allied health profession and will have strict requirements for the course to remain accredited, that if you do transfer you will have to start again in first year. This may affect your entitlement to student finance funding in future (as you will essentially end up using your "gift year" on the first year of your current programme - so you wouldn't be able to repeat a year or change course again without needing to self fund that year), so do be aware of that. If you have to apply again through UCAS then you will probably need to apply for first year entry in the same vein.
Yeah I've emailed my personal tutor and he's going to give me a call to talk through it. I don't have an issue with starting in first year again, looking at the programme page there's no mention of interviews for entry (has the same entry requirements as my biomed course, and I also did one of the modules this year). We'll see anyway, I just don't want to regret sticking with my course, If I could transfer and be happier and more sure of what my path is when I leave uni.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hollyclares)
Yeah I've emailed my personal tutor and he's going to give me a call to talk through it. I don't have an issue with starting in first year again, looking at the programme page there's no mention of interviews for entry (has the same entry requirements as my biomed course, and I also did one of the modules this year). We'll see anyway, I just don't want to regret sticking with my course, If I could transfer and be happier and more sure of what my path is when I leave uni.
If it is the Newcastle course, they state: "Applicants we feel may be suitable for the course will be invited to an interview."

So just be aware of that! If you know you don't like your current course though it's definitely worth looking into changing course, if you're certain about the new course
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
hi I did an internal transfer after my first yr of doing engineering, and transferred to do a subject in the school of social sciences! make sure that entry requirements are met, talk to your personal tutor and they'll do a reference if needed, I had to fill in short form asking why I want to do the course I'm transferring to, it's quite casual, nothing like personal statement. The process in my uni was soooo long though, took all summer for admin stuff to go through which made me think if im able to even start the course that September - but it went through ok. If you're questioning, then you should listen to yourself, cos you wouldn't want to go through 2 more years asking yourself the same thing. you get student finance as well to cover all the duration of the new course as there is a "second chance" policy thing with SFE/SFW.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.17%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (35)
10.42%
Financial worries (24)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.12%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.44%

Watched Threads