?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What a levels for it?
Vetgirl07
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pretty much all unis require biology and chemistry (some say on their websites that either is only required to AS level, but I’d encourage you to do both to keep your options open). The third subject can be whatever you’d like (excluding general studies and critical thinking) with Glasgow and Cambridge preferring physics or maths, but you’re best taking whichever subject you feel you enjoy and could get at least a B in.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://nationalcareers.service.gov....egree%20course.

https://www.vetrecordjobs.com/myvetf...to-become-vet/
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Competitive course to get onto and really hard work both physically and academically. Takes 5 years to complete so do some proper research on it.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://animalowners.rcvs.org.uk/vet...t-to-be-a-vet/
skent6
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Competitive course to get onto and really hard work both physically and academically. Takes 5 years to complete so do some proper research on it.
Couldn’t agree more… you’ve got like 10 applicants per place probably one of the hardest degrees to get into
RambleAmple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As others have stated, Veterinary Science/Veterinary Medicine is needed to become a vet, and you are essentially required to have Biology and Chemistry and any third A Level to apply for all the courses, ideally getting As in Bio and Chem though some (but not all) will accept a B in your third A Level. I’ve already replied to your other post stating all the vet med unis in the UK so you can easily research into them.

I will say from your post history though that if you are looking to study medicine, veterinary is not a good substitute or plan B - it is NOT easier to get in, and I would say has very little similarities despite them both being medicine. If you want to be a doctor (and get in) you’ll likely be miserable taking vet med, and vice versa. You also have quite a bit of other requirements to get into vet med, grades aren’t the most important factor at all as long as you just achieve them, for example work experience and there are plenty of forms and interviews to get through. As above has said, 10 applicants per place is common, and these applicants generally all meet the min requirements etc. I reapplied as I didn’t get any offers in my first cycle despite meeting all requirements, and this year only got 1 offer despite exceeding all requirements. This is quite a good summary of most of the courses https://www.vetschoolscouncil.ac.uk/...guide-2021.pdf

As others have said, applying to vet med isn’t a decision to make on a whim or as a plan B. Other than having to reach all the requirements, you obviously have to be passionate about it and have a good understanding beforehand - which is partly why the work experience is needed. A common misconception for example is that vets get paid a lot, which unfortunately isn’t true for what they do and get paid very low compared to a doctor, and there’s a lot more to the career than just the strict medical things - thinking about welfare, public health, education, business matters, etc, it’s difficult when your patients don’t talk and your capabilities may be limited based on what the owner can pay and is willing to do. I’m not sure at exactly what stage you are and so can’t say if you are just looking at alternatives to medicine or not, but if you’re looking at vet med I’d do some solid research before deciding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17.35%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (28)
28.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (10)
10.2%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10.2%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.1%
I think it's an unfair expectation (26)
26.53%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed