abc-2006
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am thinking of studying English at uni however I don’t know whether it would be more useful for me to study English language or English literature as I have heard that an English literature degree is useless
WeAreSuchStuff
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abc-2006)
I am thinking of studying English at uni however I don’t know whether it would be more useful for me to study English language or English literature as I have heard that an English literature degree is useless
Very far from it, unless you have an extreme natural facility for that sort of critical analysis (like, comfortably G9 and writing essays and poetry for fun). It also depends what you do with it. To become an acclaimed novelist, it might be a waste, as that's an oversaturated industry. To get into journalism, perhaps not as bad when you have the experience to go with it. English Lang is useful to go into linguistics at university (sort of thing they study). English Lit, much less so, although still reasonable.
abc-2006
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by WeAreSuchStuff)
Very far from it, unless you have an extreme natural facility for that sort of critical analysis (like, comfortably G9 and writing essays and poetry for fun). It also depends what you do with it. To become an acclaimed novelist, it might be a waste, as that's an oversaturated industry. To get into journalism, perhaps not as bad when you have the experience to go with it. English Lang is useful to go into linguistics at university (sort of thing they study). English Lit, much less so, although still reasonable.
Thank you for the help
WeAreSuchStuff
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abc-2006)
Thank you for the help
I'd like to add, English Lit provides useful skills in many different fields, not just for writing. Christopher Nolan is a world-class film director with a net worth of £200m+ and he did English Lit at UCL. The ability to see the substance behind a work of art at will, to argue a perspective and support it well, to think laterally, is much sought-after in many different industries. So as long as you can give reasonable support for your credentials (through further experiences or study), you can probably apply to many non-strictly-mathematical jobs with an English degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads